Monday, February 27, 2006

the winter games

I used to get real excited about the Olympics. Any more I have a hard time getting into it. Granted, I have always liked more events in the summer games than the winter games, but in both it was fun to keep tabs of how many medals each country had collected and watch event after event unfold.

This past couple of weeks, though, I only watched the games a couple of times. Instead of being obsessive about the medal count I just checked up on it every once in a while. I am sure part of it is that I didn't have as much time to watch as I normally would have had, but part of me was also saying that if it weren't the Olympics I could care less about the luge, or alpine skiing, or ice dancing. And the bobsled--I would like to know how someone who is not an Olympian goes about learning how to bobsled.

Apparently, I am not the only person who didn't tune into the Olympics. I read in a couple of places that American Idol actually got better ratings than the games last week. I would not have chosen American Idol between those two, but it makes me wonder if people care about the Olympics in the US as much as they used to. Maybe I am just remembering the games from my youth with rose colored glasses. I do remember enjoying Calgary.

6 comments:

T said...

I just think there is too much on tv to compete with the olympics now! Seriously, so many people have cable and some people (like my folks) get satelite, but they don't have local channels so they only get cable now.

I personally watched the olympics growing up, I thought it was neat, but now I am not into it as much. I do think the time factor plays into that. I watched the olympics, not my parents. They were busy doing things.

f o r r e s t said...

As I was watching the wrap-up show i was sadden to think that the winter olympics were over. The next time they are on my oldest will be 7. I slowly warmed up to the games and by the time they were finished I knew the athletes and the sports and their touching human interest stories. Apollo Ohno was my favorite, along with Shanni Davis. Both skaters.

It is the same feeling you get when you head home from summer camp once you really start to know and like you cabin mates and people you met on the second to last day. Good friendships were starting to form, but you probably won't see them again.

GoldenSunrise said...

I didn't watch as much of the Olympics that I have in the past. I was one of those that were watching "American Idol".

Achtung BB said...

I'm generally not much of a sports watcher,but those sleds were cool

Dash said...

For me, the olympics will always be characterized by the 1984 games in LA. I never got into the winter olympics (especially ice-skating). This is odd considering the number of times I watched "The Cutting edge" during lunches at the joust.

windarkwingod said...

I saw the oprning ceremonies here on TV and they did not show anything else... just soccer from the Kings' Cup. American idol - wow. You should see "Spanish idol" It looks the same but just alot more lip piercings and tears between shouting at the judges.