Wednesday, February 22, 2006

green light

Due to a complication with my bank I was late for work today. So as I was speeding into the office the car in front of me stopped at a green light. Before I could lay into the horn I noticed that an ambulance was about to go through the intersection. A little embarrassed, I accepted that I would simply need to give up a couple more minutes while the traffic cleared that had all stopped to let the emergency vehicle through.

I must confess that I have some morbid curiosity about where accidents are so I tried to pay attention to where the ambulance was going when I saw something disturbing. I know I shouldn't judge because there may be a good reason for this, but the moment the ambulance cleared busy traffic its emergency lights went off and it started driving normally.

It is possible that the people in the ambulance got a call that the emergency they were going to no longer needed their assistance. I can't get it out of my head, though, that maybe they used the lights to quickly get through the intersection without any concern for the schedules of the people forced to let them through. That would be morbid.

7 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

Maybe some teenagers hijacked an ambulance and went for a joyride.

T said...

More morbid is the idea that whoever they were transporting was now dead so didn't require emergency status.

shakedust said...

That's a thought. My work is not far from St Luke's, though, so I would have assumed an ambulance with body in tow would be headed that direction. It wasn't.

f o r r e s t said...

Nah, they just wanted to mess with people's busy schedules.

f o r r e s t said...

Due to a complication with my alarm clock I was late for work today.

Stephanie said...

A lot of times you'll see police officers do that as well. The reason usually is that the have a case in the ambulance that requires them to get to the hospital quickly (not wait for stop lights) but no so quickly that they have to speed down the road, which is dangerous. So they stop traffic at intersections, but not the whole way...

Or maybe they were just messing with you...

shakedust said...

Seminole, that does make more sense. That's probably what was happening.