Thursday, February 23, 2006

talking politics

I am always intrigued when I hear someone who is either staunchly conservative or staunchly liberal. To hear them talk either Hillary Clinton or Dick Cheney are the physical incarnations of Satan himself.

I am not going to act like I am perfectly objective or that I don't have some strong political opinions. I do have strong opinions about specific things. What I don't understand is the assumption that anyone who agrees with me on issue x is great and anyone who doesn't is the scum of the earth or at least a blathering moron. How selfish or selfless, honest or dishonest, smart or stupid a person is has absolutely nothing to do with political party.

In case you haven't noticed, I don't usually like talking politics on my blog or in life. Such conversations are very rarely constructive because people simply don't often have open minds about politics.

Ignoring the wisdom of avoiding politics, though, I noticed a blurb in the Kansas City Star earlier this week about a study that tested how an extremely partisan person's brain works. Essentially, people who labeled themselves as staunch Republicans or staunch Democrats were shown to have reduced activity in rational portions of the brain when presented with evidence that contradicted their love for a specific candidate. The blurb was interesting enough that I searched around the Internet to find more information about the study online. This article is hilarious to me just because I know that I have seen this behavior in action. The thought that the politically polarized are simply shutting down part of their brains so they don't have to think about something they disagree with really fits.

What I love about this study, though, was that it was not slanted either toward the Republican or the Democrat. The partisans from one party aren't somehow more open-minded or smarter than the partisans from the other party. In fact, based on what I read, I would say that a person who holds that view is probably exercising the same brain activity as the people in the study.

So, next time you are in an argument with someone about whether Dubya Bush is an idiot or whether Bill Clinton is a shyster just call it a draw. Your opponent is probably very literally a dead-head at that moment. You probably are too. There's no point in proving it.

7 comments:

shakedust said...

In a related note, last night in class we were talking about leadership and examples of great leaders. The typical recent historical people were presented as examples: Ghandi, JFK, Martin Luther King Jr, etc. My professor has described himself as left-of-middle, so I am sure the names given had a left slant because of the kiss-up effect. Also, they were all in our book. :)

Anyway, one person in the class caused a lot of laughter and a bit of social discomfort with the following conversation.

Professor: Are there attributes that describe multiple leaders?
(Silence)
Professor: For example, what do Ghandi and JFK have in common.
Student: Nothing. Ghandi was a good man.

T said...

wow, were you in my head last night or what?! I had a long discussion with dash about people who are so staunch one way or the other. I of course am a victim of apathy and don't care as much as I should probably.

f o r r e s t said...

politics is dangerous. I try to stay away from it. My problem is that my emotions and feelings run deep. When someone attacks something that I care about, it is hard for me to let it roll off my shoulders. (and I am not talking politics.)

word verification:
vgtrn
vegiterian

GoldenSunrise said...

But I like shutting down my brain. I am lazy and I don't like to think about the other side. : )

"Hi, I'm Golden and I'm a recovering staunch Republican and Assembly of God."

T said...

:)

Dash said...

Dirt's Dad told her to tell me that he thinks I'm a good guy ... even though I'm a Republican.

When I first heard that comment I thought it was one of the comments you mention in your post. After last night's discussion, it sounds like it was more because he thought I didn't respect him because he wasn't.

Thanks to Dirt (and now you) I'm finding out that I have a lot of growing up to do. I don't think

I've ever thought of myself as anything but open minded. Apparently, I tend to only be open to new ideas once you've proven mine wrong.

At least my pro stance on Gun Control and quasi-isolationism keeps me from being a Pat Buchanan clone.

T said...

LOL. Political talk is tricky. My folks aren't Republican or Democrat--but if you had to pin them down they lean more towards Democrat from a financial stand point. Since all their children married die hard Republicans they feel that sometimes we don't respect thier opinions.

My dad's comment was more on him then dash--he was concerned that dash couldn't take the joke "even though you're republican" because he has such strong feelings politically.

Everyone talks/preaches to me because of my whole "apathy" stand. I think it bothers them that I don't take a strong stance either way, or they see a potential recruit!?!

For those "staunch Republicans" (so we can be friends :) ) I am a card carrying "Republican" on the books! :) :) :) :) I think Dash made that a requirement before he could propose. Must be willing to put up with: annoying book collection, star wars/star trek, scifi enthusiasm, and must vote Republican! :)

The things we do for love!