Monday, February 13, 2006

routine

When I was growing up my mom used to quote her grandfather to me when I put something down in the wrong place like a jacket on the floor or the TV remote in the fridge.

"A place for everything and everything in it's place."

Due to this environmental and genetic influence on my life I have grown to greatly appreciate routine, planning, and consistency. I have tried to apply this to every aspect of my life and I have generally succeeded. On my blog, though, I see where I haven't succeeded.

I have generally gotten into the routine where I post on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. On Monday and Thursday I try to post shorter stuff so people can easily access the previous post. I often move the more mundane posts to Wednesday and Saturday because of the fewer weekdays that they will be at the top of the page. This works great for me so long as nothing messes with my routine.

Why have I not followed this structure for the past week? Mostly because I still haven't worked the schedule back into place after attending the funeral services last week and dealing with homework and taxes this weekend. Does this mean I have freed myself of the bondage of routine? Never!

A few more days and I will have this schedule back on track.

2 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

Everyone has an off week every now and then. Funerals always mess with everyone's schedule because you usually can't plan for them.

We should allow for some flexibility. We need to get used to always having our schedules messed up because a baby will do that.

f o r r e s t said...

Dust, maybe you could live life on the edge a little and post one on Tuesday. That would be crazy!

Please don't post anything mundane. (leave that to me.)

I also have a routine for my weblog. I make sure to routinely post when the spirit hits. I don't have a queue of "posts" waiting to go. As soon as I write it, I post it. This consistency and planning on my part is very comforting.