Tuesday, June 03, 2008

breakable

In the opening scenes of the movie Unbreakable Bruce Willis' character realizes as an adult that he has never been sick a day in his life. While it is entirely unrealistic even in a comic book world that someone could be an adult before noticing that they don't get common illnesses or injuries, the concept has stuck with me. Some people just don't get sick nearly as often as others.

I developed flu-like symptoms last Friday night and, though I have started to get past them, some of the symptoms are still lingering. This is uncommon for me, though. I haven't been genuinely sick, meaning sick enough to miss work, more than a handful of times in the past five years. At least two of the times I was "sick" it was not an illness, per se, but related to the gall bladder problems I was having. This time around I didn't even miss work because the time when I felt the sickest occurred over the weekend.

While I certainly have been known to get sick, and allergies in particular get me worse than the average person, I don't think that I get sick nearly as frequently as is typical. I could be wrong. I could just be more willing to go to work when I am feeling questionable, so I just notice that other people take more sick days. I know that some take sick days when they are not sick. I think I have accounted for this, though. It seems to me that others in my life, like Golden, are sick more frequently than I am.

So as I cough and wheeze and try to get past this last bug, I have to be happy that I am as healthy as I am. If you don't have your health, you don't have anything.

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I can relate. I seldom get sick. Wah-Wah on the other hand isn't as lucky.

GoldenSunrise said...

Maybe some men have higher immunity levels than some women.

Portland wawa said...

I just knew as I read your blog what my husband would respond with--I am always sick. He is actually taken to counting the days I am sick and putting them on his daytimer.
The Lord saw fit to make some people more healthy than others. That is very clear to me when BB only gets sick once a year. Feel very blessed that you are not me. Unfortunately, my kids have inherited my many illnesses, allergies/ear infections, etc.

Dash said...

I still agonize over every potential sick day that I might take ... then again some of those are *cough - cough* not-so-sick days.