Thursday, June 05, 2008

no longer younger

Michael Scott: "I, um, thought about getting a tattoo on my back as well at one point. I was thinking about getting Back to the Future. Back, because it's on my back; and future because I'm the kind of guy who likes to look ahead, into the future. I just think a tattoo should mean something, you know? And it's my second favorite movie."
Woman: "I've never heard of that movie."
Michael Scott: "Back to the Future? Oh! Wow! Well you should take a film education course."
Woman: "How old are you?"
Michael Scott: "Forty—I—I'm in my forties"
Woman: "Wow... that's so cool. Well, I'm going to go back to my group now. Thanks for the drink."
I am careful about talking too much about getting older on this site because I doubt I will get too much sympathy. Believe it or not, I also don't usually want to make other people feel old. Some may doubt this because I do tease some friends about their age. My estimation is that about 90% of the people who read this site are older than I am, so I do need to be cognizant of my relative youth.

A few things have caused me to think about age recently. First, I watched the above referenced episode of The Office. Michael ends up flirting with a woman about half his age, and it painfully shows. I could relate more to Michael than to the woman with whom he was speaking. That was an eye opener.

Second, Golden told me this past weekend about a conversation about movies she had with her hair stylist. They were talking about movies and Golden had mentioned that she liked the original Indiana Jones movies, but the stylist didn't really respond to that with too much interest. Golden told me that her stylist may not have been old enough to remember the movies. I started to mention that this was impossible because the last one came out in 1989 when I realized that this was nineteen years ago.

Third, I have been thinking about the fact that I am no longer the youngest person or even almost the youngest person in my office. My first few jobs out of school I was far and away the youngest in my group or office. In one job, it was noteworthy when someone was hired who was younger than me, but since he had skipped college he was the exception. Even in my current job I was the youngest person in the office when I started. Now, even some people who have a reasonable amount of seniority are years younger than I am. It sunk in that I will no longer be the young guy around the office not long ago when a couple of the guys admitted that they didn't know who Pete Rose was.

Not by a long shot am I starting to feel old yet. I won't for years. I am starting to feel like I am no longer the resident spring chicken wherever I go, though. It's a transition that I still need to get used to.

6 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I love that episode. That was pretty painful watching Michael's pick up lines. I was the youngest too in my first job out of college. That didn't last very long. I'm not looking forward to being the oldest.

GoldenSunrise said...

It is scary to think that the youngest people in the professional work force world have never seen movies like Indiana Jones or Back to the Future. Or maybe we are the scary ones? : )

Portland wawa said...

What's scary is the guy who is 10 years younger than me thinking he is getting old. It's ok, though. With age comes wisdom. You still look pretty young though.

roamingwriter said...

I was always the shortest, youngest, looked youngest. I remember rubbing it in on someone at work that I was in the 5th grade when I saw Star Wars. Not really touting that fact now! I went from BEING the youngest to LOOKING the youngest. I hung on to that for a long time but it is slipping away now! Now I've been referred to as "People your age..." ouch.

Dash said...

I made a JarJar Binks joke the other day in class. After having to explain who that was to some ... one gal commented that she didn't watch many movies when she was a kid.

Aparently in 1999 she was 10.

Doc said...

This topic makes me all melancholy. I'll go listen to SF59's "Old" now.