Thursday, June 26, 2008

i could have had a

I have always liked V8. I never really cared for it as a drink to have with a meal because it doesn't quench thirst, but it has enough substance to qualify as a light snack. Since I like it, it is offered to me on frequent occasions that call for a less viscous drink. In those situations I feel an obligation to have a reason why I don't want the V8, but it is hard to put into words. I think it is appropriate that it is made by Campbell's because it is more of a soup in my mind than it is a drink.

When I was eleven or twelve I remember getting large bottle of V8 at the grocery store one time as a treat. I was pretty excited until I took the first sip later at home. It tasted horrible. That is when I was introduced to low sodium V8. I understand the health benefits of limiting the sodium content, but I don't know why anyone would buy low sodium V8 in the same way that I don't understand why anyone would buy a veggie burger. The best part has been substituted out.

We get free pop and juice at our office, and I noticed a while ago that the last time the V8 was replenished it was done so with the low sodium stuff. As a result I have only drank it when I felt like going through the process of mixing some salt into it. The reason I noticed that the juice was low sodium was that I watch for that now. I don't think everyone watches for whether it is low sodium like I do.

I was talking to someone else in the office a few days ago when he brought up the topic. "Did you know our V8 is low sodium?" he asked, "I didn't and I almost vomited when I took my first sip."

Since I am aware of at least two instances where the low sodium V8 was mistaken for the regular, I have to think that this is not an uncommon occurrence. Do most of the people who purchase the low sodium version do so on purpose or on accident? The packaging between the two might look a bit different, but I don't think the cans are different enough. Maybe the entire can could be a different color, kind of like the difference between a diet and regular can of Coke. If the company hasn't done this in the time since I was twelve, though, it probably doesn't have reason to do so now.

7 comments:

Portland wawa said...

BB likes V8 so I sometimes buy at the store. On a few occasions, I accidentally bought the low sodium, but BB never complained so I never made it a point to be careful since they are the same price. Since I do not really like V8, I didn't know the low sodium tasted so bad. I will have to ask BB what he prefers.

Achtung BB said...

I don't know if I ever actually tried the low sodium v8. I never considered V8 as a treat. It's better than eating a plate of veggies.

GoldenSunrise said...

The trim color is different on the can. The low sodium has a green trim and the regular can has a red trim. I wouldn't expect a color blind person to pick that out. : )

But I do agree that it isn't different enough. You know that I rarely read the cans or labels. : ) I accidently buy sugar free or lite stuff.

f o r r e s t said...

That "low sodium" is plastered across the front of the can. I don't know how anyone would miss it.

shakedust said...

Well, one obvious way is if you aren't looking at the front of the can when you pick it up.

f o r r e s t said...

dummies...

Portland wawa said...

V8