Thursday, June 19, 2008

after you

Someone I work with stopped by my office the other day for a random conversation. He pointed out that he had been thinking about one of those things that is relatively inconsequential, but that it was something that might qualify as the main topic for a sitcom. His topic was actually something that I have considered as a blog post in the past, so it will be my topic today.

The topic was the gray area regarding when you are obligated to hold the door for someone else. How far does someone need to be from the door before holding it open is not necessary? How close does someone have to be before it isn't awkward waiting for them to get to the door? Unfortunately, with the different speeds that people walk, the range seems to change based on whomever happens to be behind me when I am going through a door. I actually frequently adjust the speed that I walk to the door to my office building in the morning so as to avoid those gray areas.

The guy I was talking with noted that when he holds a door open he usually expects thanks. I don't, but that's probably a personality thing more than anything. I generally hold the door for social reasons and so I'm not responsible for the door slamming into someone's face. It really isn't for incredibly altruistic purposes. If someone thanks you in that situation it is more obligatory anyway, so it doesn't mean much.

I generally like to use the elevator as well in the morning. I will take the stairs, though, if going toward the elevator will lead to another gray area decision. I don't like to have to figure out if I should hold the elevator door for someone else, or to have someone else make the decision about me. Something about awkward elevator situations makes me feel like I am that creepy guy that a lot people aren't comfortable riding with in the elevator. I don't want to be that creepy guy and I don't want to be the jerk who doesn't hold the elevator open for others, either. That's okay, though. I could use the exercise.

6 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I'm not as good as I should be for holding the door for people. This is something I need to improve in.

GoldenSunrise said...

Do what feels natural. Don't stress about those little things.

Portland wawa said...

Golden is right, don't stress. If they are close enough, I hold the door, otherwise they are on their own. What I find amusing is that a co-worker stopped by your desk to talk about this. I must be a different type of person than you and your co-worker because it would never occur to me to think about these things.

shakedust said...

I should say that I don't really stress about it. I know this post comes across that way. I just prefer to avoid potential awkward situations, so I literally take steps to avoid them. :)

This mostly comes from the fact that it was drilled into me at a young age that I am always supposed to open the door for women when walking into a building. Now, I have a social faux pas alert that goes off in my head regarding holding the door open for anyone in close proximity to the door.

f o r r e s t said...

Don't stress about these things. Why should it be awkward to be polite or let another person be polite to you?

I'm with Deb, I would never have given this much thought, esp. to talk with coworkers. Do what is natural and don't fret the result.

shakedust said...

I don't stress about it. It is just best to take small steps to avoid the gray areas.

Our office is a small part of the office building... it's not coworkers.