Tuesday, June 17, 2008

top down

A few days ago I noticed a car in front of the office that I hadn't seen before. I haven't seen it since, either. It was a VW Beetle convertible with the top down. That's not something you see every day; well, unless you know someone who owns one of them or have one yourself or...

When I was a kid I used to think that convertibles were cool and I wished that our family would get one. I think that was because I hadn't had the chance to ride in one and so it seemed exotic. I might have also developed these opinions about convertibles while riding in cars without air conditioning in the summer. Today, I far prefer a regular car, so long as it is air conditioned.

When I park my car at the store or the office or wherever I always lock the car door. Why invite thieves? That seems like an exercise in futility when I see convertibles with their tops down, though. Why would anyone pass up a sporty car that they don't even need to break into to take a joy ride in a Taurus? Why do people who obviously have cool cars tempt fate by literally inviting the kleptos of the world to take notice?

Even ignoring the threat of burglary, leaving the top down leaves the interior of the car vulnerable to everything from a freak thunderstorm to an ill-intentioned loogie. You couldn't store anything of any value or that could easily blow away in the car. You also would think that the upholstery wouldn't hold up to the punishing UV rays from the sun after a while.

Since I don't really have any desire to own a convertible, I have to wonder what the target market is. Do as many people want them as I have always assumed? Do people want them for their main car, or do most people who want a convertible prefer the roadsters that are designed to be a secondary car? Would you choose a convertible over a regular car if given the choice and if cost wasn't a factor?

Photo from stock.xchng

6 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I think a convertiable would be fun, but I tend to agree that it isn't very practical.

Portland wawa said...

No, not very practical. Even if they put their vinyl top up, it's still easy to break into.

GoldenSunrise said...

It's definitely not a family car! The target market would probably be single males age 20-30's.

A friend of mine had an old convertible that he restored. It ruins your hairdo. : )

f o r r e s t said...

You know...God made convertibles.

So, don't knock 'em.

Dust,

Two words: Enjoy Life.

Why not apply this same logic to motorcycles (or bicycles even.)

A friend of mine growing up had a jeep w/ optional top. That was a fun ride.

BTW, steal a Tauras and no one cares or notices; steal a BMW convertible and you become high profile.

shakedust said...

I don't want to be high profile.

f o r r e s t said...

Then we know you wont be lifting a convertible.