Tuesday, June 24, 2008

the end of law

Tomorrow is the final for the summer course that I am taking, and the last class that I will attend for the year. Needless to say, I am ecstatic and relieved. This will be my biggest break from class since I started the program, and my current plan is to have mostly easier semesters after this point.

The class that I am completing is Business Law. This is not the first Business Law class that I have ever taken, but one thing this class has done that my previous class of the same topic did not do is force me to contemplate how subjective the law system really is. This subjectivity makes most court decisions completely unpredictable, and thus actual trials typically best to be avoided.

I have also come to the conclusion that law and religious studies are probably two of the most intertwined disciplines around. Both require an interpretation of old rules and principles to determine a person's level of guilt. Both are concerned with the condition of man (or a specific man or woman). Finally, in the end most people pick their lawyer and their place of worship in the same deeply researched manner—from a phone book or now the Internet.

There is one final thing that lawyers and the clergy have in common. If the stories that I have heard are correct, they both walk into bars a lot. You'll have to fill in your own punchline here.

5 comments:

Portland wawa said...

No punchline from me. Ask BB, he's the funny one. I am glad your class is over for the summer. BB and I have contemplated graduate school, but with 2 kids and working full-time? We respect that you can do it.

Achtung BB said...

I bet you are looking forward to a break. I've never compared lawyers with clergy. At least you don't have to pay $100 an hour to talk to a pastor.

GoldenSunrise said...

Interesting comparison. I am so glad that you are taking a break also!

f o r r e s t said...

have fun on your time off.

shakedust said...

Something that I failed to put into words in the post was that the reason I was thinking about law and religion is that both relate to interpreting specific passages of a text, and entire philosophies are built on the interpretation of just a few words.

For example, in law there is the question of what qualifies as speech that should be covered by the first amendment. In Christianity, there is the question of what Jesus meant when he told Peter that he was a rock on which the church would be built. The interpretation of both has been impactful to many people's everyday lives.