Tuesday, June 10, 2008

everyone's a critic

The first time Golden and I did anything with AchtungBB and Portland Wah Wah, we saw the movie The Pledge. I almost hesitate in mentioning this because AchtungBB is probably wondering if he will ever live down picking that movie. I'd say the movie was like watching paint dry, but I can imagine enjoying watching paint dry.

The reason AchtungBB recommended that we see the movie, though, was a relatively good one. It was well-liked by whomever reviewed it in the Kansas City Star, so it couldn't be too bad. Everyone agreed on that until we saw the movie. From then on, BB got a little defensive about his pick. That part of the night was entertaining.

This situation illustrates the fact that I do not generally trust movie reviewers. Very frequently they will en masse decide that some truly stupid movie is brilliant, and that intelligent people should be able to decipher this. They will also often in large numbers find that some truly enjoyable movie is stupid. I used to think that this was because the reviewers knew something I didn't. I now think it comes from a combination of the reviewer's elitism and the fact that the reviewer is really looking for something different than I am in a movie.

Now, when I read reviews my main concern is to determine how much of what the reviewer is looking for matches what I am looking for. For example, if a reviewer gushes about Oscar-worthy acting and a heartrending story I am not interested. If that same reviewer trashes a movie for too many explosions and unreasonably dry humor, I'll camp out in front of the theater to see that movie opening night.

I am noticing a similar trend in Blockbuster reviews. When I am trying to get a sense about what a movie will be like, I like to look at the user reviews on the Blockbuster website. Frustratingly, some are little more than, "You have to see this movie," or, "Don't watch this one if you value your sanity." All I want to know is why the reviewer liked or didn't like the movie. Without providing this information the reviewer is simply assuming that I have the same exact taste, which is a major assumption.

Just so everyone knows. If you want to convince me to watch a movie, it's relatively simple. Convince me that the things I look for in a movie are there. You probably won't convince me by telling me that you loved the movie. If the movie is unpredictable, psychologically enthralling, full of CGI and pyrotechnics, or involves a plot to end the human race, it's a good bet I'll enjoy it. Otherwise, it's a gamble.

5 comments:

Portland wawa said...

I like alot of those things in a movie too. I remember "the Pledge" was boring, but I could see how artistic it was in the reviewers eyes. If someone says that it's Oscar-worthy, I am usually hesitant because I don't usually like those types of movies either. Remember how "Driving Miss Daisy" won all sorts of awards 15 years ago and it was worse than "the Pledge" by far! The reviewers hated "Transformers" if I recall and our family loves that movie.

Achtung BB said...

I said it a thousands times, and I'll say it again- I'm sorry for picking Pledge. I usually agree with music critics, but I don't always trust movie critics. I tend to like the "mind numbing" action movies too, but then again there are others I hate. If I'm watching a movie for it's critical value, I need to be in the right mood and concentrate. Often I try to keep my opinion till the movie is over.

shakedust said...

I'm glad you picked The Pledge because I thought your defensiveness afterward for picking the movie was hilarious. :) If I remember right, there wasn't anything else worth watching at the time, anyway.

GoldenSunrise said...

Good point. People need to explain why they did or did not like a movie. I do remember the Pledge being artistic. I have to be in the right mood for that.

T said...

I recently went to see "Made of Honor." It had no redeeming qualities & there was all kinds of sexual humor, very distasteful sexual humor. It felt like it was written by a guy for a guy. It might be considered romantic comedy, but I found little to nothing in it romantic. I know I was partly jaded in my opinion because I almost let Nicky go with me to see it, but I think I would have felt that way even if that were not the case. I had heard good reviews of the movie, but they obviously were looking at it differently then I was.