Thursday, March 06, 2008

what's your frequency

Since I am in a rental car I do not want to have one of my CDs in the car, because I don't want to forget it when I return the car. Also, my Nano has been getting repaired, so I have been listening to the radio.

Generally speaking, I do not like listening to the radio. I do not like the typical song selection and most radio personalities simply don't appeal to me. As I was flipping through stations I found a Christian station and decided to stay on it for one reason or another. This has gotten me thinking recently.

There are Christian radio songs I can enjoy. This is why I never changed the station. The Christian radio personalities irritate me, though. I am not sure if this is just my problem or if this is something that I have in common with a lot of other people. I have two theories on this.

First, I think that men are not the target audience. It's hard to pin down the exact reason, but most of the discussions on this station seem to lack a male touch. The conversations are almost all about family topics and there are a lot of indescribable things that make the conversations feel absent of masculinity.

Second, the theme of the station is about how positive they are. I almost always interpret that as being less than genuine. I am sure I am being unfair in my assessment, but when something is advertised as positive it just does not feel real. I eventually get tired of happy voices, too, if I do not feel that they are real.

On the plus side, I do like some of the songs the station plays. I must since I never saw fit to turn the radio off.

4 comments:

Dash said...

I agree with your observation about the feminine perspective in Xian radio and most of the time, I'm tuned in elsewhere. There have been a few time though when I'll catch a song that really ministres to me ..... of course if that ever happens I can be sure that it will be played to deat for the next 6 months.

I'm still getting my daily and very liberal-leaning news from NPR. That might go away when I get my ipod though :-)

right hon?

only 116 shoppings days left

shakedust said...

If you get an iPod in 116 days you might be surprised to find how many of the top podcasts are NPR podcasts. I'd bet your lefty NPR listening will continue.

Achtung BB said...

I've never listened to Christian radio. When you have as many albums as I do, you will never get through them if you listen to the radio.

f o r r e s t said...

You are right about it all. DJ's in general both annoy me. Secular DJ's seem like there target is the teenage boy and Christian DJ's target is for the Chicken Soup for the Soul lover. They both turn me off, so I turn them off and listen to stimulating talk radio or NPR...and of course my ipod.