Thursday, March 13, 2008

been through this before

Since I have been to two doctor's offices, one surgeon's office, and twice to the hospital all in the last couple of months I am starting to get used to the questions that I get asked everywhere. "Yes, I have a family history of heart problems." "No, I haven't had any kidney stones." "Yes, I am taking medications, but only because the last doctor who saw me put me on them." "I may not look it but I really am six-foot-three." Okay, I didn't say the last one.

I wish there was a way of answering all of these questions once and just having them routed to the relevant people. For example, if there was a standard Word document with all the necessary information that I could print out a few copies to give to the different doctor's office receptions I have spoken with, life would be great.

When a lady from the hospital called me yesterday and went through this series of questions again over the phone it went relatively quickly. This was because I didn't need to stop and think for most of the questions. I only had to stop and think about one, but there were two questions that got me thinking.

First, she asked what my religious preference was. I hesitated before saying Christian. Would it have been better to be specific? Was there a real reason for the question? Do Protestants, Jews, and Hindus each get different treatment? Since the question is taboo in a lot of settings, it always sticks out when someone asks about religious beliefs.

Second, she asked if I have ever had adverse effects to anesthesia. Since I always get nauseated from it, I informed her of this. The question got me thinking. The day of the surgery may not be a very good day. I have been almost looking forward to going under the knife since I will be unconscious for the surgery and will get to lie in bed all day and recover. If I am fighting the urge to hurl at the same time that I am supposed to be relaxing my abdominal muscles, though, I could have a problem.

I'll just have to be hopeful that it isn't a big deal. I already know that the hospital has some relatively effective pain killers.

6 comments:

Achtung BB said...

That does sound a little strange that they are asking you about your religion. I don't see what that has to do with anything for a gull bladder operation.

T said...

Yeah, I get sick like that too. The pain killers should help with that. :)

GoldenSunrise said...

I will pray that you won't get sick from anesthesia.

f o r r e s t said...

"I have been almost looking forward to going under the knife since I will be unconscious for the surgery and will get to lie in bed all day and recover"

-that is a good way to look at this event. I had never thought of it like that before, but hey you get to lay around and probably watch a few movies when your not sleeping, plus you don't feel guilty for having to recover. That sounds pretty good.

Portland wawa said...

That is strange that they asked your religious preference. The only reason I can think of is if the hospital chaplain needs to know??? Weird for a gallbladder operation. Is it laporascopic (outpatient) or full incision??

I get sick from any anesthesia. I vomited violently during all of nibbles birth. With Woogy, only about 4 times at the end of birth. But my colonoscopies, sinus surgery, wisdom teeth removal all made me hurl everywhere. If you tell the nurse right before the surgery, they can give you something to help. Some doctors will give you a medication to take immediately after to settle your stomach (watch out, it's usually a suppository, fun, fun!!)

shakedust said...

The surgery is laproscopic, but they want me to stay there a day for whatever reason.

It may be a difficult decision between living with the stomach pain and taking a suppository. Who ever imagined up that method of taking meds anyway?