Thursday, March 27, 2008

purse of happiness

When I was ten my favorite TV show by far was the old Batman series with Adam West and Burt Ward. There were a lot of reasons for me to like the show, and since I was pretty young, none of them had anything to do with its satirical or ironic nature. The episodes were purposely ridiculous, but I thoroughly enjoyed every one of them in spite of the ridiculousness rather than due to the ridiculousness.One thing that I remember liking very much about Batman, and wishing that I could emulate in some practical way, was his utility belt. There wasn't anything that wasn't on that belt. I used to think it would be the coolest thing in the world to be able to have such ready access to anything I could practically need.

For a short while, I used a fanny pack so that I could have access to the stuff that I would need. I did like the fanny pack, but it never made sense to me why I was supposed to wear it with the pouch on my backside, as that made it more difficult to access the stuff that I wanted ready access to. Because of this, I shunned society's rules and wore the pouch near my stomach rather than near my butt. However, since fanny packs faded in 1992, that is about the same time I last used one.As I have gained more things to carry around, I have started to envy previous ages when men could carry bags without the perception that they were carrying purses. As my history indicates, I appreciate practicality in transporting my possessions. I would prefer to not have to use my pockets to carry a cell phone, two sets of keys, a wallet, an iPod, spare change, and whatever else I might need, but there really is not a good alternative. The male fashions to address this are all considered outdated, nerdy, effeminate, or they are generally impractical for everyday life.

This is one area in life where I actually wish I had baggage.

6 comments:

Portland wawa said...

BB has a utility belt of sorts. You can get hooks for alot of that for your belt, the iPod, the cellphone, a palm pilot if you wear one. BB even hooks the camera on his belt. Please do not put your keys on your belt though, that is too much like a caretaker or maintenance guy.

GoldenSunrise said...

Maybe we need to move to Europe...don't the men carry bags there? In the meantime, you can use your lunchbox.

Achtung BB said...

Sounds like you need a man purse. Does Forrest still carry one to Sunday school?

f o r r e s t said...

You bet! What do you mean my bag makes me look like I am carrying a purse? I didn't think there were any more hang-ups.

Also, how did you watch that Batman series. That was before my time and you are after my time.

You wore a fanny pack? Really?

shakedust said...

That's a good point. Actually, your bag is more of a satchel than anything else. I think I have just assumed that those sort of bags are too big to be practical for me.

shakedust said...

Oh yeah, I didn't comment on Batman and the fanny pack.

Batman was in reruns for a couple of years on The Family Channel in 1989-1990 or so.

I was very attached to a couple of fanny packs I had right around the same time. One was a Dick Tracy fanny pack I got from my aunt. I think the second one was more generic. At the time fanny packs were not the faux pas they are today, but it probably wouldn't have kept me from using one even if they were.