Thursday, March 20, 2008

the surgery

Since I have wasted a lot of time talking about my gallbladder over the last couple of months, it would be remiss for me not to post on the actual surgery. So you don't have to read the entire post to know how everything went, I am doing fine. They actually sent me home from the hospital early since it was determined that nothing could be gained by keeping me there.

This morning, Golden and I got up a little after five to prepare for the hospital and be there for my appointment at six. This is not generally the way I like to start my day. As I have mentioned, though, I have actually been looking forward to the surgery more than dreading it, so that made it easier to get up and moving.

Around 6:30 I was called into a preparation room where I had to change into my entirely-too-immodest hospital gown, have some strange leggings put on me (to reduce the potential for a blood clot), and have my IV put in. They did not let Golden go back with me until I was almost completely done with this process. I am not sure why they didn't want her back there until then, but that's the way it was.

One thing that was frustrating was that, since I am a relatively physically private person, the very personal things that had to be done to me prior to and after the surgery are a little bothersome. I understand that there is no way around this and I understand that women have it worse, but it is still worth mentioning since I am no exhibitionist.

Just before 7:30 I was wheeled to surgery. As this was happening the anesthesiologist shot some stuff in me that she said would make me more comfortable but would not knock me out. Someone I work with who has had this surgery told me that when they did this to him he did not remember anything after getting the shot and that his wife told him that he started joking around with everyone without inhibition. Golden did not see me after I got the shot, so she doesn't know if I did anything embarrassing. I hope I didn't.

Around 10:00 I woke from what felt like a very long dream. I was incredibly groggy, so I don't remember much of what happened. I wasn't in any pain and this was roughly when they asked whether I wanted to stay at the hospital or go home. I decided that I would go home when I could, but I was not really in the strongest mental position to make such a decision.

Golden came back to see me periodically as I recovered from the surgery. She also was dealing with NJ in the waiting room, so her effort today was very noble.

Golden mentioned that a couple of people from church came to pray for me before the surgery, but were under the impression they could do so at 7:30. Since that is when I went into surgery that was not possible. They hung around and spoke with my mom until 10:30 when decision was official that I would not be staying at the hospital.

Golden also told me that the surgeon told her that he has never seen so many gallstones in someone so young. He mentioned that this had actually caused damage to my gallbladder. This is something that bothered my mom, but it made me very happy. It justifies the griping that I have been doing for the past couple of months and it validates the decision to have surgery.

While my stomach hurts some from the surgery, it is actually not a big deal. I expected the pain to be significantly worse. The one bad thing is that I have been nauseated for most of the day, and this has been much worse than lingering pain from my incisions. I expect that to pass by tomorrow given my past experience, though.

Probably the most difficult part of this surgery is that for the next two weeks I can't pick up NJ. One of the things that we both like is for me to swing him around, and that will not happen for a little while. Also, this means that Golden is going to have to hold him more, which is physically draining on her.

My assessment at this point is that the surgery really was a success. I had no real complications that I am aware of, and I am already noticeably recovering. The benefit I will get out of the surgery once my body adjusts to not having a gallbladder far outweighs the drawbacks of keeping it.

6 comments:

T said...

Glad that the surgery went well. I think my surgery was on a Thursday and I was at Golden's baby shower that Saturday! I was still on some pain meds, but it wasn't too bad. Just take it easy and follow doctors orders. It will take your body a while to adjust, but you won't hardly realize because you'll be so happy to not be in pain anymore. So you are right the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Achtung BB said...

I never thought of you as a "exhibitionist". I'm glad your surgery went well. I remember when I had anesthesia for my wisdom teeth coming out, I was on a roll. I think I might have told the nurse not to touch me since I didn't know where she's been. Wah-Wah would have a better memory of what I said than I do.

Doc said...

I'm glad it went well. To respond to a different blog, the hospital needs to know your religion for the sake of the chaplain. No need to give last rites to a Jew if there might be a bad outcome from the surgery.

GoldenSunrise said...

I am glad that your nausea is over. I hope you can eat dairy again with no problems!

f o r r e s t said...

Way to go! There is nothing better than waking up and realizing the surgery is all over. Let's go get a milkshake.

Portland wawa said...

You couldn't have dairy? It sucks doesn't it? I miss it terribly. I am so glad your surgery went well and you will be back to normal soon.

As far as how BB acted after his shot, he acted drunk. I won't tell you what he did, too embarrasing for both of us.