Monday, May 28, 2007

angel's advocate

Someone pointed out at work last week that I like to take a contrarian position a lot, but it is often to make excuses for other people. If someone complains about someone else, I am likely to point out some possibility that could excuse the problem behavior. For example, if someone complains that someone else from a different time zone scheduled a meeting during lunch I will note that maybe this is the only time they have available. Because of this tendency, I was informed that I should be called an angel's advocate rather than a devil's advocate.

At first, this sounds great. It sounds like I am an open-minded person who wants to give people a fair shake. After I started thinking about it, though, this is probably not as true as I would like. I make flash judgments and gripe about other people doing inconsiderate things as much as anyone else. This makes me doubt that my angel's advocate tendencies are completely noble.

I have a few theories about why I like to make excuses for other people. The truth is probably some combination of my theories.
  • I might be psychologically trying to atone for the times that I prejudge others' motives. If I can convince myself that I go out of my way to verify motives before making a judgment, then I can forgive myself easier in those times when I quickly judge someone as a jerk.
  • I may be trying to encourage other people to not judge me too quickly.
  • It might be that I am an objective person if I am not the person who feels like he is getting screwed.
  • I might have some serious psychological issue whereby I feel I have to disagree with people.
  • I may be trying to prove to other people that I can consider all possible scenarios in a confusing situation. In other words, I might be trying to prove that I am intelligent person who doesn't succumb to knee-jerk responses.
  • I might just have an inability to avoid saying whatever random things enter my head around certain people.
At the very least, this has allowed me an opportunity to grow. If I am not playing the angel's advocate for the right reasons, I might ought to stop playing that role so often.

4 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

I think you are a calculated person and not much of a risk taker.

Essentially your list is probably correct based on calculations for the appropriate setting.

GoldenSunrise said...

Maybe you are trying to fix peoples problems. You are taking responsibility for the gripe at hand. Isn't that what men do? Women just want to vent and talk about problems without needing a fix.

Achtung BB said...

I always took you for more of a devil's advocate. I hope you don't have a psychological need to to disagree with people.

T said...

When I take the "angel" side it's because I grew up around very judgemental setting and had to learn as an adult that there are always 2 or 4 or more sides to a person and why they do something.