Thursday, December 07, 2006

shift your feet

Three of the four classes I have taken or am taking this semester have been in rooms laid out the same way. As a result, in all three classes I have chosen the exact same seat. I noticed a lot of other people do precisely the same thing.

I am not sure if it is a subconscious preference, but when I enter a mostly empty classroom I tend to sit in the middle rows and a little to the left of the speaker from the speaker's perspective. I am sure this says something about my mental competence or emotional stability that I am unaware of.

Once I have chosen a chair in the first class period, I by far prefer to keep that chair in future class periods. In my fourth class the room was shaped differently and was proportionally smaller. Something that happened a lot more there was that one person would sit in a different place than he or she had in the previous week causing another person to have to find a new seat and so on. This created a domino effect that shifted the class around the room weekly. I am sure my frustration at having to find a new place to sit every week says something about my mental competence or emotional stability that I am unaware of.

What frustrates me the most about changing my seating location is that I am concerned I will be taking someone else's seat. A lot of people pick their seats because it is near someone they are friends with. I don't want to accidentally waltz into someone else's happy place. I know that says something about my mental competence and emotional stability that I am aware of. It says I am an obsessive fiend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you said you were unaware?! :)

f o r r e s t said...

dang! don't be a wuss and just pick out a friggin' seat.

This is grad school right?

shakedust said...

Forrest, perhaps you missed the obvious. :) This is not about me not picking a seat. It's about why I don't like to have to pick a new seat.

If history is a good guide, your response is going to be that of course you know that, but that I misinterpreted your comment, to which I will point out that I did not, and around we'll go.

f o r r e s t said...

No, I got it. The wuss reference was to you not liking to pick a new seat. :)

Achtung BB said...

I just always try to sit by the smartest person in the class

Anonymous said...

I do not pick at my seat just because I am near my friends, but I have been known to pick at my seat when I'm on the back row and had a little grit that was BITING!