Thursday, October 30, 2008

not yet a classic

As a quick note before jumping into my topic, the reason I haven't updated like I usually do this week is that I am still working through my laptop issue. When I get that straightened out I'll go back to the old schedule. Trust me, I am highly motivated to get that stupid thing working.

When I was growing up our family watched a lot of classic television. We spent quite a bit of time watching Nick at Nite, as well as what was offered on other channels. As I grew a bit older, what qualified as classic television changed. At first, I Love Lucy and Get Smart were the general range of what was considered classic. Slowly, more and more recent shows were added to the schedule until Newhart was inserted into the lineup when I was in high school. I questioned at that time how such a recent show could be in a lineup of classic shows. I didn't really complain because I liked the show, but it did not make sense.

A few days ago I found out about a couple of shows on TV Land, which is a rough equivalent of Nick at Nite. These shows take the cake, in my opinion, as far as calling a show that is not old enough a classic. Third Rock from the Sun and Scrubs are now on TV Land. Third Rock first came out when I was a freshman in high school, and Scrubs first came out after Golden and I were married. It has not even been officially retired. How can either of these shows be considered classic television yet? They have both aired in this decade.

Classic television should either be stuff I that came out before I was born or stuff that I only vaguely remember because I was too young. It shouldn't be something that I could have watched when it originally aired after I graduated from college. I shouldn't be able to clearly remember when classic television first aired. That would make me old.

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I was wondering if anyone was showing reruns of 3rd Rock. That was a good show.

T said...

that would make you old! :) Welcome, you're in good company! :)

Just wait for your kids to compare your age to the technology age and ask you questions like, "they had color tv when you were young?" :)

roamingwriter said...

I think "classic" is a matter of when you were born. What I think of as classic is more like you - I love Lucy. But I heard someone referring to oldies music -- the 90s. So perspective changes your idea of classic and oldie, I guess.

T said...

Hey, it's nov 11--I know you said you might be gone for a while, but this is a lot longer then I expected from our dust!