Thursday, October 23, 2008

pop my bubble

I have told this story to a few people, but I think it is new to most everyone in blog land.

I think everyone has had some disgusting habit at some point in their lives. One of these habits that I used to have was spawned from my miserly nature. For a little while I never threw chewing gum away. I just figured that if there was still wear left in the gum, why toss the dime or quarter that the gum ultimately cost away? It always felt like a waste to toss gum that had not been completely used up.

I would gnaw on the same gum day after day and keep it on my nightstand when I slept. I would occasionally add a stick, but I wouldn't throw any of it away. This probably lasted two or three months, and by that time I had a rather large wad of gum. If I remember correctly, toward the end I would break off a chunk of gum from the large wad and chew that rather than the entire thing.

All of this came to an end when a little girl who was visiting our house got into my wad of gum one day. At that point I figured that enough was enough, I kicked the habit, and I never looked back. I have since found other ways to express my frugality, so I don't cringe near as much when I toss some used, but not completely used, gum. It's progress.

5 comments:

Achtung BB said...

Never had that habit

Achtung BB said...

Looks like your audience seems to be dropping. I'm proud to say that I still read your blog.

GoldenSunrise said...

I'm glad you still don't do that. I'm still a supporter of your blog. Just a little late this week.

shakedust said...

Actually, there are still a few people who still check the blog, but most don't comment. Most of the commenters have moved on to Facebook.

T said...

ok that is a GROSS thing I could have gone a long time without knowing! :)

I'm still here btw, and yes, facebook takes my comment time usually, even if it's only me reading what's going on with everyone!

I hope NJ is doing better. I just read that one too.