Thursday, October 02, 2008

bucket list

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I get the concept. A bucket list is a list of things you decide you are going to do before you die. I have considered creating a list of my own at some point, but I always end up in the same logical conundrum. I would enjoy creating the list, but I don't really know what my motivation should be for doing the things on the list. Is the only reason that I would be doing some of the things on the list just to have something to accomplish before I die? After I'm dead I won't care, so why is the boundary time death?

In theory, I should put things on the list that I want to do. There isn't much that is so important as to put on a list, though. I could add some things that would be nice to do, but I don't want to force myself into doing something later in life just because I arbitrarily put it on a list when I was thirty (or forty, or fifty...). I also don't want to put effort into doing things if the only point is to put another checkmark on a list.

The idea is still a popular one, though. It inspired a movie and I have heard, and used, the phrase, "I want to be able to say I did such-and-such," used a lot. Whether it is about visiting a specific city, watching a specific movie, learning a specific language, or just doing something unique, everyone seems to have something on a list in their mind somwhere that they want to be able to say they did. As an example, just the other day someone at work told me that I should bungee jump at least one time in my life just to say I have the experience. If I made a list, bungee jumping would probably make the list, if only because I haven't done too many dangerous things in my life.

What about you? Do you have a list? Do you expect that you will someday create one? Why or why not? What is or would be on any bucket list that you have created or would create?

4 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

You can bungee jump, I probably won't. Your bucket list should be unique to you. I want to go to Florida, California, and Texas and go on a cruise.

T said...

I use to think I wanted to travel a lot. The older I get the less appealing standing in lines and waiting at airports seems to be.

Achtung BB said...

I actually did see the "Bucket List" and enjoyed it. I thought the movie dealt well with a man wanting to finish his "bucket list" and his family wanting him near. I however haven't made one yet, probably because a lot of what I would do requires lots of money that I probably won't ever have.

roamingwriter said...

I don't think I have a list. I'd like to see the movie though. I've gotten to do a lot of things already that I would have said I'd like to do. The biggest one I want isn't totally in my control, so that's difficult. (publishing) I feel fortunate to not have a lot outstanding.

No desire to bungee jump! The older I get the more often it occurs to me on "thrill" rides - have they maintained this? is it truly safe?