Thursday, October 09, 2008

permanent typos

Several years ago I remember seeing a case on one of those court TV shows where tattoo parlor customer was suing the parlor due to a misspelling in a tattoo. I remember thinking that having a typo permanently etched on my body would be horrible, but I figured that it was an isolated incident. It appears that it may not be as isolated as I thought.

I recently came across a website detailing some of the worst tattoo misspellings (language warning). There are quite a few, and one is even on a celebrity, so I guess that it is something that happens more often than you might think.

I don't make any judgments on most tattoos, but I wouldn't get one. They probably make sense for someone who knows that they will like the tattoo in five, ten, or fifty years. My tastes are so subject to change, though, that it wouldn't make sense for me. So many tattoos are prone to be dated, like the barbed wire around the bicep tattoo, that even if I were looking to get a tattoo I would have to take that into account. If I got a tattoo I also think I would avoid getting any words to avoid the possibility of having a misspelled word inked into my body for a lifetime.

If they weren't so permanent the misspellings would be hilarious. Actually, I still think they are.

2 comments:

roamingwriter said...

hilarious on others, glad it's not me. I've never been tempted by a tattoo. Now they are just a fad I think and some day they will go back to their original bad boy image. I wonder if it makes all the people trying to do the tough image thing with tattoos mad that it's a fad?

GoldenSunrise said...

I think tattoos will usually always be a source of rebellion for some teens. Then there are people who really like tattoos like my friend Rachael.