Monday, October 27, 2008

anti virus

I have had a few viruses on my computers in the past, but I have actually taken quite a bit of pride in not having had many major issues with them. This past night has been the exception to that rule, though.

When I got home from the grocery store I saw that the laptop that I had left on was off. When I booted my machine I got an alert I had spyware and asking if I wanted to scan for it. This is funny because it was the malicious software and not my virus scanner that provided this alert.

I don't know how people who don't know much about PCs mess with this. I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable, and it has been a rotten night for me. I can't imagine working through this without some knowledge of how to investigate it.

I am to the point where I can get rid of all of the issues until I reboot, then the issues that I was having recur. For the life of me, I don't know where this thing is hiding when it appears that it has gone away. At this time of night I no longer care.

4 comments:

shakedust said...

I spoke with the MIS guy in my office today. He actually ran across the same virus that I did about a week and a half ago and had roughly the same experience with it that I did, except that he eventually gave up on it and hasn't used that computer. That makes me feel a bit better about the effort this one is requiring.

Since we both know the things that you are not supposed to do in order to avoid a virus, we both suspect that this was caused by a security hole in Windows that was supposedly addressed with a patch this weekend. I would recommend to everyone running Windows that you get the latest security patch at http://update.microsoft.com so that you don't have to go through the headache that I am.

GoldenSunrise said...

I hope it works. Sorry you had a rough time with trying to fix ti.

T said...

YIKES! Thanks for the heads up.

roamingwriter said...

This is one of those moments that makes me glad that I have a Mac. My mother's machine is perpetually overrun with spyware and viruses and so it is slow and hard to use so she just doesn't email me! Good luck winning the battle. My brother says it's often easier to strip and reinstall all. Sounds time consuming.