Sunday, July 22, 2007

summer trip: the end

Miles total: 2986

Golden read through my posts about the trip for the first time tonight. One thing that she noted was that I probably wrote too much. I am going to try to keep this to a few observations. There are no pictures because I did not have the camera easily available to me very much.

When we entered Indiana the first thing I saw were four or five huge signs for Tom Raper RVs and Home Sales. Am I the only person who thinks a different company name would work better? It is possible that the guy's name is an advantage because people remember it.

We saw Dash and T for supper in Terre Haute and a walk around the local mall. It was a great diversion after spending seven hours on the road.

As I was driving through Effingham, Illinois, I remembered a little too late that I wanted to snap a picture of the giant cross visible from the highway. The thing is huge, and I only started noticing it on trips in the past few years. I am not sure if this is because it was built a few years ago or if I was always asleep during this part of the trip in the past. A picture where you can get a sense of the cross' size can be found at this site.

NJ is healthy now, but he had some of his worst moments on the final day of the trip. I think the crazy schedule was getting to him. He was very pleasant to be around once we got him home, though.

So, to those who have kept up with the trip, I appreciate your patience. For those who haven't, you can start reading my posts again after today.

6 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I am so glad to be home! Even though I have lots of laundry to do.

Dash said...

The Big Cross is one of several across the nation. I think it's only been there about 5 years.

I used to think the same thing about Tom Raper's name. He actually spoke at an Evangel Chapel as a prominent Baptist Layman .... if I remember right he was doing a motivational/spiritual tour at the time.

Achtung BB said...

Sounds like it was quite a trip. I bet it is good to be home.

roamingwriter said...

Glad the trip was safe, sounds like it was full and fun too! I had chicken pox twice in life so I can appreciate NJs reaction!

T said...

It was great getting to see you guys. NJ's walking--why didn't that make the blog? :) I hope you have a great week and that it's a while before you have to hit the road again!

shakedust said...

I wanted to leave something for Golden to talk about. She didn't yet, though, so I should have probably mentioned it.