Saturday, July 07, 2007

the nineteenth century

Sometimes when we are taking care of NJ or just doing things around the house we have the television on more or less for background noise. This afternoon something that got some background noise play was The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again. The movie is a western/comedy sequel made in the 1970s. The movie is entertaining enough, which actually is quite an accomplishment for a western.

I really do not like most movies or television shows set in the 1800s. This is not because I have not given them a chance. I have watched my share of movies from the era. I used to watch Westerns with my dad and I have seen many of movies of what I consider the other big major nineteenth century genre: romance.

There are a few things that I don't like about stories from the nineteenth century.
  • A lot of movies about the era, and especially the romances, dwell on the social rules and interactions of the time. I am convinced that I would not be comfortable with most of the social rules from that era.
  • Speaking of comfort, does anything look less comfortable than the clothes in Little House on the Prairie?
  • I am not an outdoors person, so I might not have even survived one hundred fifty years ago.
  • I don't long for a life with less technology.
  • When I have visited museums and recreations of historical life, I have been struck by how unappealing the life appears. Examples of what I am talking about are the Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead and Fort Niagara.
Do you have reasons to like movies about the 1800s, or do you generally feel the same way I do?

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I generally think I wouldn't make it 100 years ago. I do think that the more we learn about the past, the more we appreciate what we have now.

f o r r e s t said...

I love Little House on the Prairie.

I don't have a problem with those movies and I kinda romanticize that era along with all the other era's.

I think I'd like a simpler way of life. It's hard to imagine though because I know too much now - I have eaten the fruit and can't go back in the garden.

shakedust said...

I like the Garden of Eden analogy on a level that I can't even put into words.

roamingwriter said...

I like the movies, but I've never had a desire to go back to a time period without running, indoor water facilities.