Thursday, July 05, 2007

the hunt is off

A recent discussion at work centered on whether hunting or fishing are incredibly fun or whether they do not make sense as entertainment. There have definitely been times in my life that I wanted to hunt and fish, but at the time I did not fully understand what this requires. For example, the following are just a few of the things that I might have a problem with.
  • Getting up at 4:30 in the morning.
  • Doing anything with deer urine.
  • Sitting for hours on end in total silence.
  • Sitting for hours on end in the elements.
  • Identifying an animal in its natural habitat (color blindness).
  • Actually killing an animal.
  • Gutting the animal that I killed.
These outweigh the two things that I think are cool about hunting. I would like handling guns and eating the catch afterward. I could take care of these cravings with a stop to a firing range and a fast food joint, though.

One important thing to note is that I am all for hunting when it is done properly by other people. I have liked most of the wild game that I have had, and I understand that most hunting in the United States is used to control certain species' populations. I actually got my hunting and trapping card in Pennsylvania, so I have learned the list of benefits that hunting provides. I am just not one of those people who has to get up before sunrise with an orange vest and a gun to entertain myself.

6 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

maybe if you had your laptop with you as you sat in the deer stand it wouldn't be so boring.. : )

Achtung BB said...

I agree with the benefits of hunting a population that is over grown, but I don't think I'm man enough to blow away Bambi.

f o r r e s t said...

I am not a hunter and I have a few problems that are on your list too...like the getting up really early (although, I could do that)and the killing and gutting.

I have gone duck, pheasant, and quail hunting before with my dad. It's not a lot of action, but I did enjoy the elements and the whole experience. Sometime the elements were pretty miserable and only later in life I look back with fondness.

I wouldn't consider and I don't think many hunters consider hunting as entertainment. I don't think I would much enjoy hunting either if it's goal was to entertain. Hunting is a hobby, a way of life, an adventure, a reconnection, education, bonding, a journey, a process, skills.


I too at one time had passed the hunter's saftey course.

Unknown said...

The laptop might ease boredom, but it will assure failure to kill. And if you're just going to sit outside all day trying to deal the glare on a laptop screen, batteries, and the elements... ummm...?

When I do stuff outside, I want to untether and enjoy life in a different way.

Portland wawa said...

I am a killer, and it was hard at first. But after you desensitize yourself, you don't see it the same way anymore. (Unfortunately, some people desensitize themselves to the wrong kind of killing.

I kill 20-30 animals each week. I'm not sure which is the better reason for killing though, doing it for population control and possibly your dinner or doing it for medical research to further the lives of humans at the cost of monkeys, sheep, pigs, rats and mice. (lots of rats and mice)
Personally, I vote for medical research, but I think I could go out and hunt deer and pheasant. I love getting up early, love the outdoors, and I understand that animals are here for our benefit (See Genesis)

roamingwriter said...

I've passed hunter safety too. I have no desire to kill anything or watch it be killed. I'm a wimp; I like my meat to arrive in styrofoam covered in plastic wrap, or even better finely cooked on a plate.

I do enjoy going to the hunting range a lot; and that can be done at quite late times of the day!