Friday, July 20, 2007

summer trip: day ten

Miles so far: 2119

As I expected, the last two days have been the least active of all the days of the trip so far. This is something I needed before starting the final leg of the trip, and is a big reason why I planned to stay until Saturday instead of leaving earlier.

My dad manages the school bus terminal for a school district here in the Pittsburgh area. Yesterday, my dad took NJ to the local high school and the terminal to show him off to some of the people he works with. NJ was apparently rather popular.

Last night one of my aunts visited for a couple of hours to see NJ for the first time. This morning, we met with one of my cousins, though he had seen NJ before.

This afternoon, we couldn't think of much to do. I had been typing information about relatives into my laptop, so my mom got the idea to visit a couple of the local cemeteries where relatives (mostly dead ones) are buried. This sounds boring, but I did enjoy it.My parents took Golden and I out for steak this night to celebrate my birthday. I loved the steak, but I feel bad about them spending so much money when we visit.

It is difficult for me to comprehend that within twelve hours we will be departing for Kansas. Tomorrow morning we leave for Terre Haute, Indiana, and we will arrive home some time Sunday evening. Probably the thing I am the most depressed about is that I will be at work the next day. I probably should have scheduled a day to recover from the vacation, but who has that kind of time?

3 comments:

Dash said...

I've got an account with ancestry.com that, come to think of it, needs to be updated.

Be carefull with that online geaneolgy stuff though, it can be addictive - and people might think you've gone LDS.

T said...

Stinks that you have to drive back and you don't get one day in your own home to rest before getting back into work. :( With all the trips we've made over the years, I learned a while ago to give myself and dash when possible a day of rest at home, I think it's more important when you have little ones with you.

shakedust said...

Yeah, I did the planning for this trip, so I can't blame anyone but myself for getting in the day before work.