Wednesday, October 18, 2006

when i was younger

As I was reading through my last post something stuck out to me about the perspective. When a person (myself not excluded) writes about some change in his or her opinions, the viewpoint is always taken that the current point of view is the correct one. For example, I used to view sin as one thing and now I view it as another. Therefore, my current view is perfection.

One of the scariest things about having a blog is it is possible that my musings as a twenty-something person will come back to haunt me in my thirties or my forties or even my eighties. Everyone changes, and I am not in any way an exception. However, if someone were to read something that I write today in twenty years, they probably won't account for the fact that some of my opinions may have changed or my approach may have matured.

If I wrote a blog five years ago, I know some things about what I had to say would be different. If I wrote a blog ten years ago, a large percentage of my perceptions would be completely different from what I currently write.

So, what words of mine will I cringe about some day as I am breezing through my posts? What "deep" thoughts will I think are tripe when I am older? What quotes will I find foolish? My goal is to write more that I will be proud of than regret. Only time will tell how frequently I really do put my foot in my mouth.

7 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

Is this your escape clause?

shakedust said...

Sure.

GoldenSunrise said...

Yeah, Dust likes to make sure his butt is covered. : )

Anonymous said...

I often go back and read things I've written and am amazed by how immature or ridiculous I find past self.

It was also something that I thought about when I started blogging online. What am I going to think of this entry (that I'm putting online for everyone to see) a few months from now, a year from now?

f o r r e s t said...

Yeah, I only have to go back a couple of days to read something embarassing that I wrote.

windarkwingod said...

HA! I'm afraid I've written all my smart ones already. All that's left is crotchety stuff...

roamingwriter said...

I have thought lately about how different some of my ideas are from what they used to be. I hadn't thought how that might affect my blogs!