Thursday, October 12, 2006

not at work

My day off Tuesday reminded me of a question I often ask myself. What's with all the activity around town during typical office and school hours? In retrospect, since I don't know the answer I am probably the wrong person for me to ask.

It seems any time I am not at work on a typical work day I notice a ton of people who are out and about going about their lives and not in the office. I know that a percentage of people are retired and a percentage are homemakers, but not everyone looks like they fall into these categories.

This is what struck me the most about how busy the library was on Tuesday. It was a time when most people are in work, but a large number of people were reading magazines or surfing the net at the library.

When I am out and I see people who I would assume would be in an office at that moment I start wondering. Are they actually working and I don't know it? Do they work weird hours? Are they currently out of work? Are they trust fund babies? Are they on a vacation? Are they full-time students? How is it that they don't have to be physically at work right now? I'd like to know.

7 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

A large percentage of people do not work office 9-5 jobs. Plus, a lot that do work office jobs don't have to be in the office the whole time. I am sometimes running around during the day driving to a job site or meeting, etc.

GoldenSunrise said...

Is someone a bit bitter? : )
Maybe they took the day off like you did.

f o r r e s t said...

G - are you referring to me? I didn't mean for my comment to sound bitter, it just that I have thought about this many times myself and have come to the conclusion that the city doesn't shut down just because I go to work during the day.

And you have to wonder when you are out of your normal routine, how many others are also out of that routine and wondering what do all these people do if they are not at work. And the people they are referring to is you.

shakedust said...

I am quite sure she is referring to me. :)

GoldenSunrise said...

Yep, I was teasing Dust. Sorry you thought I was talking to you, Forrest.

Dust and I use the word someone a lot when referring to each other. Ex: Is someone angry? Is someone tired? We ask NJ, Is someone stinky?

f o r r e s t said...

Well, after I reread my comment...it was sort of matter of fact and not very personal, so it could have been me.

Ahh, I re-read goldens and it all makes since now.

Doc said...

My schedule allows me to be out and about either in the morning or in the afternoon/evening. I quite enjoy not having a 9-5 routine. It allows me to get so much more done on workdays.