Monday, October 09, 2006

spilled milk

Last night I ran out of milk in the middle of pouring a bowl of cereal. I don't really like opening a new bottle because the first little bit has a habit of dribbling down the side of the bottle, but I didn't have a choice unless I wanted dry cereal.

As I was pulling the plastic ring off the cap so I could open the bottle it stuck and the cap flew off spilling a bit of milk in the process. My immediate reaction was to get mad at the cap. I realized that was stupid, so I decided to get mad at the machinery that created the cap. That was more logical. After I spent a little time cleaning up I realized that even this was stupid.

Why is it that every time something mildly irritating happens my first reaction is to want to blame something or someone else? I think it is that it removes responsibility from me. I was aggravated that I had to clean up and I didn't want to be aggravated at myself.

I think this offers some explanation about how issues can escalate so quickly. If somebody cuts me off, I don't want to believe that it is because I didn't allow him the right-of-way earlier when I should have. I want to just think that the guy is a jerk. I am sure that a lot of other issues, both those with which I am involved and those I am not, would go away if people would stop and think through how stupid the anger is. That would take the fun out of being angry, though.

5 comments:

T said...

:) Careful dust, you're starting to sound like dash! He should give you his take on this sometime!

f o r r e s t said...

everything is your fault, right?

Dash said...

yeah ... but I'm starting to change my mind. After years of spouting off cliches like: "choose your emotions" and "contextualize your respose" etc. I'm starting to think that's all just repression and denial.

GoldenSunrise said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that spills things. You can't always be perfect.

Achtung BB said...

You sound like Seinfeld going on about a little milk cap