Wednesday, October 11, 2006

livin' la library loca

I took the day off work yesterday and studied at the library for most of the day for my Accounting final. If you don't know what is coming next, you haven't been reading this blog for long. Here's my bulleted list of random thoughts and observations from yesterday.

  • Before I went to the library I stopped by the bank to deposit that $20 reimbursement check I got a month ago. I ate breakfast in the parking lot at the bank and noticed that cars were going through the drive-through. I planned on using one of the deposit slips available inside the bank so I walked up to the door and found it locked. That was enjoyable, since several employees were able to watch me perfectly. Apparently, the drive-through opens an hour before the rest of the bank.
  • When I got to the library it was about five minutes till nine. It was obvious that the library opened at nine because there was a large group of people (about ten) waiting for the place to open. I have to wonder about people who get up early in the morning and stand in the rain to get into the library as soon as it opens.
  • As soon as the library opened, I got out of the car and walked for what was probably twenty seconds to get into the building. What was weird was that everyone in the library had the look like they had been there for a while rather that twenty seconds. It's hard to explain.
  • There were posters up for National Hispanic Heritage Month. Two thoughts on that. First, it goes from September 15 to October 15. I'd love to hear why they didn't just pick September or October. Second, the posters were obviously aged, and one was specific to the year 2001. I wonder how many years' use they will get out of those posters.
  • There are a ton of people who use the library in the late morning and early afternoon on Tuesday. I'd expect that on Saturday, but Tuesday?
  • Two different groups reserved the same conference room at the same time. I got to witness the confusion. Good times.
  • All through the test my stomach was making noises. It sounded like I was releasing gas throughout the test. That is definitely not what I was doing.
  • My plan really worked out. Taking a day off to study helped me out a lot with my test.

6 comments:

T said...

Glad that worked out! :) So what's next Chemistry?! :)

f o r r e s t said...

Thanks for going into those uncharted frontiers and giving us your captains log. (insert smiley face.)

Seriously, when I was taking my Architecture exams I would spend most of the Sunday before my test in the library studying. As much as it is easy to focus on studying it is also just as easy to get distracted. It is more fun to get distracted than to study.

Oh yeah, the libraries are always busy. I think Vernal and the boys go a couple times a week.

shakedust said...

T, nope. :) Financial Management. *blah*

Dash said...

I used to love spending hours in a library. Now I'm in and out it minutes and have usually reserved my selection online ... or at least know exactly what and where I'm looking for when I enter the building.

Does anyone still "browse"?

I miss the card catalouge.

f o r r e s t said...

Heck yea! I still browse. I love the browsing. Usually that is the only way I find books. I'm intimidated by the computers. You miss the card catalogues? Aren't they still there? I thought the still have them. I'll have to look the next time.

roamingwriter said...

No more card catalogues. My mother was very disturbed and is only beginning to look at the online catalogue. She knew the gist of the dewey decimal system and just went and browsed the right shelf.