Thursday, October 26, 2006

saved

I have always been a saver. I am sure that part of it was because I was taught to save, but part of it also has to do with a genuine concern about what I would do if I needed the savings and I didn't have it. A final large part of it came from the fact that I learned that saving was the only way I would be able to make a large purchase.

One of the people I work with does not believe in fully utilizing savings. This isn't an issue of math. His stance is that there is no such thing as security, so stressing yourself out to create a false sense of security is pointless. I have taken some issue with this perspective, mostly on mathematical grounds, but he does have one point that bothers me.

What gets under my skin is determining what the Biblical perspective is. The only book in the Bible that might be considered explicitly to back saving money might be Ecclesiastes. Jesus and Paul both made comments that actually implied saving money was less than ideal. What I struggle with is how much of saving money is due to responsibility and how much is due to worry or greed? Are savings a false sense of security? Is it irresponsible not to save?

I have seen people who did not save anything throughout life and expected family, friends, and/or government to take care of them when they were old. This can't be right. Refusing to be generous with those in need because I need a set amount in my savings or 401(k) doesn't seem quite right either. Then again, if Jesus saves, shouldn't I as well?

6 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

What about the parable of the talent? I think the fact that Jesus commended the two that invested what they were given shows that we should save. Don't bury the money under a rock. ; )

Motive behind the savings issue means everything.

Anonymous said...

I guess a question to ask is what are you saving for and why?

I understand surplus is to be used to take care of living needs (Ex. 16 - you couldn't horde, sell or save manna...it would rot in a day) either your own or someone else's.

Another question is how much is enough for you to be content today and how much would you need to set aside to maintain that when you are 78?

Or, if you won the lottery, how much would satisfy you to dedicate the rest of your life to some worthy labor that gave you no paycheck......i.e. "how much is enough?" The rest is just surplus intended to do something else for someone else.

I think we suffer taxes that do the ineffective inefficiently because we do not exercise our surplus to take care of others.

windarkwingod said...

I agree with saving enough to cover emergencies, like at least a couple of extra house payments set aside and untouched, and other saving plans for education etc... What I bristle at is the extra $18,000K I will have to raise during my next itineration in order to contribute to the mandatory minister's retirement fund set up though Assemblies of God Financial Services. Back before the days of Luther it was called indulgence and you had to pay the church a different sort of currency to enjoy it. But even during the Christmas lottery here in Spain you can buy lottery tickets imprinted with Jesus on the cross below the quick picks.

f o r r e s t said...

i thought this might be about the movie. I really think you should save money so you can spend it later. ya know if you want to get tha bb gun.

T said...

Savings good. Spendings fun. BB Gun? :)

I know at least one person who spends cash for everything up front (even for the purchase of their expensive car.) I admire that and would LOVE to be able to do that too. It's a lofty goal, but you never know! :)

roamingwriter said...

I recently got nervous about using some savings to cover something that the savings was specifically for. It sort of convicted me to just be thankful we had the money set aside and trust God for the bigger issue that was causing the expense. It's not wrong to save, it's wrong to depend on that.