Monday, September 08, 2008

trip observations

As I noted in my last post, I spent a few days in Pennsylvania to attend my grandmother's funeral. As is usually the case when I travel, I have a few thoughts.

First, I never noticed before, but people in that area have multiple viewings, whereas people in Kansas and Missouri tend to only have one viewing. As a family member, the one viewing is far less taxing.

Second, I have revised my opinions on what I want for my funeral. I had said that I would prefer complete honesty about me in whatever eulogy is delivered. I now think the family should get to decide what specifically happens. Really, the funeral is for the family, so what should I care about how the funeral is handled? The funeral should be part of a healing process, so however it can be most effective in healing is how it should be implemented.

Third, I think that funerals are held too closely to the death of the family member. I think families should take about a week to get beyond being shellshocked over the death before having to set up arrangements for a memorial service. Three or four days after a death just seems too soon.

Fourth, how do they train the stewardesses on flights to look so happy when acting out how to operate a seat belt and strap an oxygen mask on your head? I definitely couldn't look so genuinely happy during that portion of the job.

Fifth, I nearly got stuck in Washington D.C. by tropical storm Hanna. At least to hear the pilot on my flight into Washington, you would think so. That experience, coupled with a few other bad experiences in recent years with airlines, has really dampened my desire to ever fly again. I know I will have to at some point, but something always seems to go wrong. If the things that went wrong were things that I could control that would be one thing, but I have yet to figure out a way to control things like inclement weather or lost luggage. If I could, I would prefer to just take the time to drive the entire way.

I hope that the next time I see family it is under better circumstances.

2 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

Deep Thoughts by Dust. I am ok not flying in a plane for awhile!

Achtung BB said...

I have thought the same thing about funeral being way too quick. I'd say give the family some time. What's the rush?