Sunday, August 10, 2008

gymnastics

I am sitting here watching men's gymnastics on the television, and a few thoughts spring to mind.

First and foremost, only during the Olympics would I bother watching gymnastics or admit to it. I have never cared about gymnastics. Even if I did, though, it is an unwritten rule for most straight guys that they don't confess to watching gymnastics or figure skating with enjoyment. Men's gymnastics or figure skating are especially taboo.

Second, I would like to better understand how the men who make the Olympic team originally got interested in gymnastics. Performing at this level obviously takes excessive skill and training. Who are the boys who grow up driven to be a gymnast rather than a football, baseball, or soccer player? I'm not trying to disrespect the dream, but I am trying to understand it. Had I been blessed with the athleticism necessary to be a gymnast there are countless reasons that I would have probably used it to play a sport like football rather than use it to swing around on a pommel horse.

Finally, who created these events? For the life of me, I cannot imagine a rational scenario where the pommel horse was decided upon as an event. I still haven't figured out how specifically it is judged. I also do not understand why do the men have the high bar and the women have the uneven bars. The rings do make sense to me, but they don't appear like they would be a fun event in which to compete. By that measure, the vault is the only appealing men's event. I could get into the vault.

Even if I have more points to make I'm not going to blather on about gymnastics any more. I have probably already lost enough cred as it is.

5 comments:

roamingwriter said...

Yeah, the rings seem next to impossible. You have to start young on that stuff to get there by 18 or 20 years too!

I spent a long afternoon being bored by handball which is hot in Spain. I think I would have preferred gymnastics.

T said...

I think gymanstics are cool, I went to school with a guy who was really talented with gymnastics. I never thought to wonder how or where they came up with the events. I think the appeal to gymnastics would be that it's more individual driven then team, so how well you personally do is not dependent upon others. Plus it's just fun to be able to amaze people with what you can do that they can't do! (That's my personal take.) :)

Achtung BB said...

I've worked with several boys who are very talented at gymnastics. I've always been a little jealous. I can't figure out why a boy would be attracted to figure skating. It doens't seem very "manly". Still, the guys that do it are in far better shape and more talented than I am.

GoldenSunrise said...

I had planned on watching the Olympic events but haven't so far. Just a few minutes of the opening ceremonies.

Portland wawa said...

I think the parents must do some of the picking for young girls/boys who are so athletic that they seem to be olympic-bound. They have to start training so young, I wonder if they really chose that life.

Girls and gymnastics go together, but I have often wondered at boys and ballet or boys and gymnastics myself. But in Europe or other countries, maybe it is not so strange.