Thursday, August 07, 2008

ant tv

Last night I was watching something on the Science Channel about driver ants. They are a form of army ant found mostly in Africa. Ever since reading Leiningen Versus the Ants in junior high (and maybe before that) I have always been intrigued by army ants.

In watching the hour-long episode of the driver ant two things occur to me. First, I wouldn't want to cross their path. They were shown systematically ripping apart everything in their path, probably the most disturbing of which was a crab that they dismembered from the inside out.

Second, I have a very pertinent question. I wonder how they recruit the cameramen to do jobs like this. Think about it. This person's job is to get well within striking distance of a swarm of millions of these little animals whose heads are basically just big mandibles. Not only that, they have been known to attack humans, though they don't normally do so. If something went wrong it would be an absolutely horrible way to go. That's enough to give me a new appreciation for my office job.

4 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I can't imagine an ant taking on a crab and winning.

T said...

Yes, that gives me a new appreciation for my office job too!

Anonymous said...

Weird... I actually watched some of that same episode this week, and I was thinking about the same story. I remember you having a fascination with it. Later when I had to read that literature, I was dreading reading that story. Yech. Still sends shivers up my spine. I would NOT want to be anywhere near them.

Achtung BB said...

Ants dismembered a bad guy in the latest Indiana Jones movie. Though it is only a movie, I've heard ants can be dangerous. I don't think I would care to get that close to army ants with a camera.