Tuesday, August 19, 2008

stealth geek

When I was in college my roommate came across an early iteration of this definition of "stealth geek." I liked it a lot, and have since sought to move from a geek to more of a stealth geek.

By definition, a stealth geek is someone who has geek tendencies, but who does not stick out as a stereotypical geek. A stealth geek has a deep appreciation for certain geeky things, but has determined that maintaining a subdued style rather than a flamboyantly geeky style is ideal. The term was initially developed as a way of labeling Fox Mulder in The X-Files. Mulder wouldn't stick out in a crowd, but when you get to know him you can pick out that he has geeky tendencies.

I think that I am still a bit weak on the stealth part of the definition. I am more stealthy now than I was five, ten, or fifteen years ago, for sure. In truth, I probably don't want to be fully stealthed anyway because the goal isn't to disguise my true self, but rather to keep from being completely defined by a subset of my interests.

In short, being stealthy here has very little to do with not being who I am. I just don't want to people's impressions of me to come from their interpretation of one subset of my true self.

6 comments:

Portland wawa said...

Stealth geek to describe Fox Mulder. Interesting.

I wouldn't necessarily say you classify as a geek, Dust. You are not a sci-fi fan or game player and you weren't especially into science in school?? See I know because I was a science geek in school and I loved sci-fi too. But I knew computer guys like you who were total sci-fi freaks and into gaming in college. My best friend married one. BB would agree that they are more geeky than you.

I guess BB is a stealth geek because he remains a Star Wars/Star Trek/X-Files fan but is very into current music and post-modern stuff.

shakedust said...

I do like Sci-Fi movies, but I was more heavily into them in college than I am now. I would play games more except that I usually have limited time and/or money to work with (mostly time), so I spend it on other things. I love some forms of science and dislike others. So, you are right that I am not extremely geeky now, but I do have some serious tendencies.

Depending on the definition of geek BB is probably a stealth geek. I don't how much being a music geek counts. :)

Achtung BB said...

Call me a stealth geek. I know everything about Star Trek and Star Wars, but I refuse to have a conversation about them in public. My keep my geek tendencies hidden (or at least I try to).

GoldenSunrise said...

Wah-Wah has a point--you weren't really into the gaming. I think you have come a long way. Some of the pun jokes you use seem geeky to me. : )

Portland wawa said...

You were a gamer? What game, Dungeons and Dragons? I know they have loads now. I dated one gamer, boring way to spend the time for me.

shakedust said...

I've gone through periods where I played games a lot. The most recent was about four or five years ago when I played an XBox roleplaying game called The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind pretty much every night for several months on end. I usually waited until Golden was in bed to play, though, so she wouldn't feel that it was encroaching on "us" time.