Tuesday, August 12, 2008

romance

Today is Golden's and my eighth anniversary. We don't usually make too big a deal of it, but cards and small gifts are often exchanged. If I'm not careful I can let it become routine rather than romance, so that is the biggest danger that I have to watch out for.

I don't necessarily understand what romance is, at least as it is typically defined by women. I don't think that most guys understand romance, which explains why this rather cynical work of humor on the subject is funny to a lot of guys. I don't know that most women would find it as humorous. I can personally identify a lot of things that qualify as romance, but this knowledge comes second hand.

My general understanding of romance is that it is something that makes someone else feel special or important. That seems to be an incomplete definition, though, because it doesn't explain to me a lot of things that are romantic, such as candlelight or cute stuffed animals. I think the main problem I have is that my mind interprets "special" and "important" differently than most romantics.

Another possibility is that I am not describing romance properly. Since this is a distinct possibility, I would like to put this question out to everyone. If you had to explain romance, how would you define it?

I have one last, and very important, thing to say. Happy anniversary, Golden!

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

Everything I learned about romance I learned in a Hugh Grant movie.

GoldenSunrise said...

Thank you. You have done a good job in the romance department.

Portland wawa said...

Happy Anniversary you guys!

Romance is different for everyone, very subjective. What is romantic to one person is offensive to another.
Take my country sister in Rantoul. She would think being married on a John Deere tractor was romantic, but I would be offended. BB put my wedding ring when he proposed in a christmas stocking with X-files on it. (It was christmas) I found that very romantic, but my sister wouldn't.

T said...

romance. I think what it means to me changes over time. I use to think candle light and flowers were romantic. Not I think they are nice, but I don't know that I would think they are "romantic"

I agree with your general understanding, "something that makes someone else feel special or important." That is a moving target and I'd say there are some general things that can be done for most and be accepted as romantic.

BTW, Happy Anniversary! 8 years--"cool."