Sunday, August 17, 2008

painting

When we moved into our apartment eight years ago our contract provided conditions for painting the interior of the apartment. Basically, we could paint the walls any color we wanted, but they had to be white when we left the apartment. I questioned in my mind who in their right mind would paint perfectly fine white walls in an apartment that they do not even own. I did not even fully understand the point of painting rooms that I did own.

Fast forward to today. As of this past weekend, there were two rooms that we had not painted since we moved in. One is the kitchen and one is the bedroom that will be the baby's room. On Saturday we started the process of painting the baby's room. I fully understand that painting the baby's room is part of the standard process of preparing for a baby, so I am not griping that this is something we are working on. There are a few things that make me appreciate the process less, though.

First, I don't know if it is more because I am a guy or because I am colorblind, but I rarely stop and think that the appearance of a room could be improved if the color was just changed. I don't look at white walls and think this makes the decor boring, out of date, or inadequate in some other way.

Second, painting is a process. I don't feel that I can just paint in little bits of a half hour to an hour because there is setup and takedown involved. If I were to take an hour to paint, a half hour of that would probably be spent in setup and take down. This means I have to devote a block of a few hours to the task for my work to be worthwhile.

Third, little things like taping off trim and windows can take forever. I almost took as much time taping on Saturday as I did applying primer to the walls.

One thing that I do like, though, is that the process of painting is relatively straightforward. I do not go into the task without knowing what to expect like I sometimes do in other household projects. So, I don't really have that as an excuse for why I am not done yet.

3 comments:

Portland wawa said...

Painting a room properly takes a lot of time and patience. This is why I think I am the better choice to paint than BB. He has little patience for household tasks.

Good Luck paiting!

Achtung BB said...

I like the fact that I'm satisfied with the colors in our house, which means we won't have to paint it. What was good enough for the previous owners is good enough for me.

T said...

I use to love the idea of painting, now I just love the idea of it being painted--I do not have to be the one doing the project. But I usually am anyway.