Tuesday, August 05, 2008

quit stalling

Everyone knows that you aren't supposed to park in the handicapped spot unless you are handicapped. If you are ticketed, the fine is very expensive, and if you aren't, you will probably earn the ire of most who notice you walking healthfully from the parking lot to wherever you are going. I don't park in the handicapped spot, but I do one other similar thing and I am trying to determine how equivalent it is.

In the bathroom at my office there are two stalls. The one that is furthest in the corner is a handicapped stall and the other one is a standard stall. I have noticed that most, but not all, people use the handicapped stall when they have the option. I like using that one as well, too. The main advantage is that the handicapped stall feels quite a bit more secluded than the regular stall.

The question I have is, is there a problem with using the handicapped stall when the regular stall is unoccupied? There are no people on my floor who require a handicapped stall, so this should only be an issue if someone is visiting the office, like a customer or a job candidate. Is the possibility for someone needing to use a handicapped stall a big enough possibility that I shouldn't? Is this like using the handicapped parking spaces in front of the building?

5 comments:

roamingwriter said...

That's a funny question. I never park handicap but I frequent bathroom handicap. But then again ladies rooms are more apt to be over crowded so I've never thought twice about it! Does that make me bad?

Achtung BB said...

I don't think it is a big deal, because I do it. I find the handicap stall more comfortable and somehow I think it is less used. Often it is about the cleanilness.

Portland wawa said...

Since going to the bathroom is not a very time-consuming process, I don't feel that using the handicapped stall is bad. They can wait a minute or two. But parking is something else, they have to go elsewhere to park. Waiting is not an option.

Something you may not know since you are a guy. The handicapped stall is almost always the stall with the baby diaper area, in the women's bathroom. When we are out as a family somewhere with a stroller, I always seek out the handicapped stall so I go push in the stroller as well.

GoldenSunrise said...

I can't remember ever seeing a handicapped person in the bathroom before. It probably isn't a big deal. Like Wah-Wah said, they can wait a minute and it usually doesn't take too long.

T said...

I'm with the group on this, I don't take their parking spots, but I've never thought anything of taking a stall. I've never seen a handicap person in the bathroom either golden!