Tuesday, July 08, 2008

setting limits

Over the last few weeks, and especially in the last week, NJ has thrown more intensive tantrums than in the past. This is frustrating for two reasons. First, we are not sure if he is really throwing a tantrum or if he is teething or something like that. He does have molars coming in so maybe that is the problem. On occasion, but not always, he puts his hand in his mouth when he is putting on his show. Second, if this is the sign of him being more defiant, I want to make sure that we are not caving to him. If it is a pain thing, though, I don't want to be callous.

I am no genius with kids, and I definitely have never had illusions that I knew what parenthood was like until now. However, I always figured I knew enough about setting limits that it would be more, rather than less, obvious how to handle individual situations. What I didn't consider is how difficult it is to identify what age justifies what limits.

At two, I know that NJ is testing his limits. He generally knows what he wants and how to get it. I do not think this is a good thing. Setting limits and keeping him to them while he is at an age where he does not understand punishment is not something that I fully considered until recently. I know what my parents did that worked on me, but that was from when I was much older than two.

All I have to say is that kids should come with owner's manuals.

6 comments:

Portland wawa said...

I was just telling BB that all parents need a masters in understanding the best way to discipline their kids. How do you decide who gets the toy, etc? BB says he always makes the right decisions, he doesn't need help. Anyway, I know how you feel.

If NJ is starting the tantrums, it's because he is 2 now, I'm guessing. The key is to not give in to their manipulation, but sometimes we do too. Most parents will tell you, "pick your battles". We aren't perfect parents so I am not the one to come to for advice on this sort of thing.

Achtung BB said...

Tough call. Actually there are no real right answers because every kid is a little different. I tell parents to trust their instincts. Honestly, I can give advice, but I can't apply it to my own situations. My kids throw tantrums with the best of them.

f o r r e s t said...

Lock him in the closet until he is done screaming. that's my advice.

GoldenSunrise said...

I think visiting all the family members troubled him. He thought we were leaving him with "babysitters". He has had a good day today.

roamingwriter said...

I heard once that kids go through the same defiance/emotional thing in the 2s as they do as teens. I suppose that makes it an important time. Good luck wiht that!!!

T said...

I've often thought that kids should come with owners manuals! There are some general rules that work for most kids, but as BB stated every child is different. What works for on does not work for the other always. Our two are different enough that it was like they had two different sets of parents! :)