Thursday, July 31, 2008

ballerina gown

While my parents are here they are doing a lot of things around the house. We have already cut down a few small trees along the house and bagged them, refloored the entryway from the garage, created a platform to put over the stairway to keep NJ from falling, and installed a sink, faucet, and garbage disposal. As a result, we have been to Home Depot a lot in the last few days.

During one of our trips, Golden and I brought a sample of the color scheme for our daughter-to-be's room to determine what paint color we will need to purchase. There is a machine there that scans objects and identifies what the color is. Our scheme will center around a color called Ballerina Gown. As it is a shade of pink, it is a color that I have a difficult time differentiating from other similar colors.

This trip reminded me of something that has always irritated me. Why must all paint colors aim for evoking an emotion rather than describing the color? As someone who is colorblind, "Ballerina Gown," does not tell me what the color actually is. How does it differ from Cupid Arrow, Poetic Princess, or Scented Valenti? Maybe they could keep the current names, but also have more practical names for colorblind people. I would be better off with a name like, "Just a Bit too Pink to Be Off White." That would tell me something.

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I guess you will have to rely on Golden's judgement.

Portland wawa said...

I have always wondered what life would be like colorblind? How many things you must see differently. You do have a point about the names of paint colors. We have painted rooms with the strangest names for colors.

GoldenSunrise said...

I will be your eyes for you. : )
It is a soft pink--exactly what you said--just a bit too pink to be off white.

T said...

Sounds like a nice color, and perfect for your baby girl! :)