Monday, July 07, 2008

the past week

My sister visited this past week to spend some time with NJ, so I took the week off from work so we could more properly visit with family.

I picked my sister up at the airport in the late afternoon on Monday. Not much happened on that particular evening. We watched Nancy Drew. It was more or less what I expected.

We were supposed to have the gutters replaces on Monday as well. I was hoping they would be replaced by the time I got back from the airport. Eventually I got a phone call saying that the work would be postponed until Wednesday morning.

Tuesday, we went to the doctor to find out that we are having a girl (I know, we already announced that). Around supper time, we visited Legends. Now that we have been there a few times, the place actually feels kind of small. It didn't feel that way the first time I went there. That night we watched National Treasure 2, which I think is much better than the original.

Wednesday was NJ's birthday. We opened presents and had cake at lunch time.

We were planning to go to the pool around 3:30PM, but that is when the gutter guy showed up. It turned out that he was just there to make a final measurement and make the gutters rather than put them up, so he left in short order and we visited the pool. We spent quite a bit of time in the kiddie pool, then as we were walking into the big pool we heard thunder and the pool shut down. Bummer.

That night we watched Witness for the Prosecution, which is an old British movie based on a story that Agatha Christy wrote. Not a bad narrative, though it contained a lot of dialog, so it is not for people who don't like a lot of talking.

Thursday morning, the gutter guys showed up right as we were leaving. We visited my grandmother and great-grandmother who live a two hour drive away. Actually, that is two hours if you don't get sidetracked. I took a wrong turn and added a half hour to the trip.

NJ was especially fussy on Thursday. He screamed for the first half hour to hour that he was at his great-grandmother's house. I felt bad, but there was little we could do. From there we headed to Golden's family's house in the Springfield area.

Friday was the fourth. I celebrated by being lazy. NJ played in the back yard some. That night we set off some small fireworks. Nothing real noteworthy.

Saturday, we visited a nature center in Springfield, then traveled back to the OP. Sunday, I took my sister back to the airport.

Typically, the mark of a good break from work is when it feels like forever since I have been to the office. Since it feels like ages since I was at work, it must have been a good break.

7 comments:

Dash said...

Sunds like a fun week!

Happy B-Day to Nathan and congrats on the upcoming li'l girl. Having one of each is cool.

....though I can't believe you didn't go the the James River Spectacular. The way I hear it, you can get your initial evidence credentials revoked for missing without a doctor's note.

Achtung BB said...

Those gutter guys seems to have good timing.

GoldenSunrise said...

It was nice to have you around for a week. And it was nice to visit family. I wish NJ hadn't been so cranky.

T said...

Sounds like a good week.

f o r r e s t said...

a good week!

roamingwriter said...

fun and family and no work. good stuff. we had a nice 3 days weekend traveling too. I need a do nothing weekend this week.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me! It was good to have see you guys and get some time away to rest. I'm sorry Nathan thought I was a babysitter. :o\ Hopefully in time he'll understand that when I'm there you and Golden usually are there, too!