Thursday, May 01, 2008

sandals

When I walked into class last night I noticed something that reminded me that summer is around the corner. The room smelled like feet. The smell was not too strong and it didn't bother me, but it was unmistakable. This was due to the fact that a large percentage of the people in the room were wearing sandals or flip-flops.

For several minor reasons, I have never gotten into wearing sandals or flip-flops myself. They aren't any more comfortable to me than tennis shoes are. They are impossible to run in. There are more rules about what you should and shouldn't wear with them. They just aren't worth the effort to me. Regardless, there is no denying sandals' perennial popularity.

A lot of people appear to have different opinions about the value that sandals provide than I do. As a result I more often than not feel like the odd man out for wearing shoes rather than sandals when doing things in the summer. I don't care, because I love wearing sneakers and wearing sandals would go against my personal identity I maintain for myself. I wouldn't feel like myself to bow to the sandal-wearing consensus.

So, this summer, like every season, I intend to continue enjoying my standard footwear and let the sandal-wearers of the world enjoy theirs as well. To do otherwise would make me feel like a heel.

6 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I love wearing sandels. Sure I get pebbles stuck in them and I can't move very quick, but they are so convient. The most important rule in wearing sandels is not to wear socks with them. My sandels have been known to clear a room. I am forbidden to wear open toe sandels however. My feet a very offensive.

GoldenSunrise said...

Your sensitive nose picking up the feet smell in a classroom makes me laugh.

NJ will have to resort to sandals this summer because of his wide feet. I have to return his tennis shoes to Target because his feet won't fit.

Portland wawa said...

Sandals aren't for everyone. I am not even sure BB should wear them.

Achtung BB said...

See what I mean?

f o r r e s t said...

Does this have something to do with you only haveing 4 toes?

shakedust said...

I'm more proud than self-conscious about my conjoined toes. :)