Saturday, May 03, 2008

tornado alley

Q: What's a tornado watch called in Kansas?
A: Spring.


Everyone who I am aware who reads this blog has lived in a tornado-prone area of the country at some point, so going through a tornado warning is hardly post-worthy stuff unless it includes video of a funnel cloud or an account from one hundred feet in the air. So, in case you are wondering, this is a post that falls into that "unworthy" category.

This is not meant to come off as a complaint, but I have lived in the Midwest for many years, gone through several tornado warnings, and I have seen nary a funnel cloud. I am thankful because this means that my home, family, and life have never really been in danger. At the same time, it feels like I have missed part of the Midwest experience to not have seen a tornado.

On Thursday night I was in class when the tornado sirens went off. It is a small class, so everyone crowded around the window to see if they could see anything. Eventually, we were instructed to go into the basement of the building. While this felt very safe, it guaranteed that I would go another tornado warning without seeing a funnel cloud.

Afterwards I heard about all of the destruction that the tornadoes from that night caused. My heart goes out to the families impacted. This reminds me why I may not want to see an actual tornado.

1 comment:

Portland wawa said...

It is terrifying actually. I saw one from our camper when I was about 8, not the best place to be. We had to run up to the camp's office for safety. It is one of those experiences that opens your eyes to the fury of nature, like seeing a violent storm on the ocean out here.

The thing about tornado sirens in Kansas is that they go off if the weather conditions are perfect to form a funnel so the odds are really low that you will actually get one.