Thursday, May 22, 2008

must see tv

Today is the first Thursday in many months that none of my regular shows are on. I am always happy as the season winds down, because it opens my schedule up a bit.

Thursday has always been the day that gets the shows that the most people want to watch. I am not sure what makes people more available to watch TV on Thursday than Monday or Tuesday so that it has become the prime network slot, but it is. This year, though, it seems to me that there is even more stuff that people want to watch on Thursday than in previous years.

Nearly everyone with whom I talk about TV is watching The Office, Survivor, Lost, CSI, Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, My Name is Earl, or some other show on Thursday night. I know that I can introduce the topic of television on any Thursday for small talk with just about anyone and that person will have something to say. More often than not, that person will have too much to say.

What is the impact of all of this television watching on Thursdays? Is there a noticeable spike in power usage on Thursday nights compared to other nights? Does it damage businesses such as restaurants that rely on people leaving their houses? Is Thursday evening the best night to visit the gym to avoid the crowds? I'll probably never know because I am stuck watching Lost.

3 comments:

Achtung BB said...

Thursdays and Sundays are my big TV watching nights. I can't believe that the The Office season is done already.

GoldenSunrise said...

I am looking forward to the free time this summer! This means that I want to start doing projects around the house. : )

Portland wawa said...

Wow, to watch primetime TV again? I haven't since Woogy was born. So I am not a good person to ask about those shows. I only watch CSI re-runs on On-Demand.