Saturday, May 24, 2008

old young people

I am in the middle of watching The Karate Kid right now. I think I remember watching this when I was much younger, but I don't remember much of it. I decided to look up Ralph Macchio and Elizabeth Shue on Wikipedia to see how old they were when the movie was made. I was expecting seventeen or eighteen. They were actually in their early twenties when the movie was filmed.

I have always wondered what the real value is in using an actor or actress in his or her twenties to play a teenager. It happens frequently, and is often easy to spot. I can't imagine that there is a shortage of teenagers who want the roles, so it can't be that they can't find suitable teenaged actors.

Of course, the good news is that if I want to try out for a teen role in a movie in the next couple of years, my age will not disqualify me. I'm still younger than Ashton Kutcher.

1 comment:

Achtung BB said...

I'm kind of shocked that Ralph was in his twenties when he made that movie. He looks a younger.