Saturday, December 10, 2005

out of shape

Growing up I was always as active as any other boy, but for some reason I have never had the endurance of most other boys. Since I was smaller than most I always attributed it to that, but when I reached college I determined that this could not be the case.

Over one Christmas break my mom took me to the hospital to have tests run. My heart was fine. X-rays revealed nothing but a minor case of scoliosis (in elementary I complained that I had schooliosis, so I actually wasn't too far off), I tested negative for asthma (which is good because my dad had asthma), but the tests we got back said that my lung utilization wasn't perfect, but was not horrible.

Fast forward to today. I don't do too much that would qualify as exercise in part because I can't last long doing anything aerobic, and in part because I am lazy. Because I don't do much exercise when I have to do any exercise it takes a lot out of me. What do I mean? I am still sore from shoveling snow for forty minutes on Thursday. How pathetic is that?

2 comments:

T said...

That is pathetic! But to your 72% lung utilization, (I only know this because of N's hidden asthma) the "lowest Normal range" of utilization is 80%. I don't know if 72% gets you the asthma diagnosis, but until N was up to 79% of utilization with Advair her doctor would not release her for regular activity. Specified she should not play soccer or anything that she had to run a lot in. But now she can. :)

f o r r e s t said...

Being sore from shoveling snow for 40 minutes is not pathetic at all.

I go to the gym regularly and lift weights, but after I shovel snow, I usuallly feel a soreness in my muscles a day or to later.

When shoveling, you use a whole different muscle set than what most of us with office jobs are not use to. So, of coase, we are gonna get sore when we shovel for 40 minutes.