Thursday, December 01, 2005

dumped on

As I was driving to work yesterday I ended up behind a medium-sized, empty dump truck. I prefer not to be stuck behind large vehicles, but it wasn't a big deal. Then I read the sign on the back of the truck. It stated that cars should stay 300 feet behind the truck and that drivers were responsible for any damage caused to their own cars.

This begs the obvious question. Was this sign for real? It seems ludicrous to me that the owner of the dump truck could expect to absolve himself of legal responsibility by recommending that other drivers give him an entire football field length in clearance. Does this mean that I can avoid responsibility for any accident that I might cause by adding signs to my car that state the following?
"Dangerous driver. Stay 300 feet away. Not responsible for damages caused to vehicles within 300 feet of this car."
My guess is that this is just a scare tactic to keep people from tailing the dump truck, but why not at least put a reasonable distance on the sign like 50 feet? If it is too dangerous to be 50 feet behind a dump truck I would question whether that dump truck should be on the road.

5 comments:

meredithia said...

haha. that is one ridiculous sign, and you have a very good point. I hate trucks too, although if you need to get over trucks usually leave a huge space in front of them...

Jadee said...

If you were to leave alot of space between you and the truck...more than likely an accident WOULD occur...from someone who jumped in front of you! Which would cause you to slam on your breaks...and cause a pileup from behind you...

f o r r e s t said...

It's no fun to get dumped on!

Dash said...

Indiana State Highway 46 runs from Terre Haute to Bloomington and used to make up most of my 40 minute commute. Between all the construction in Terre Haute and the stone quarrys south of Bloomington, I've followed more than my share of those trucks. In fact, I use to count haow many pieces of dangerous winshield shattering gravel would bounce off and almost hit / hit my car.

windarkwingod said...

That sign would never pass the testimoney of an eye doctor, unless the sign on the back of the dumptruck was bigger than a football field score-board. How can you read it unless you are closer than 300 feet. SIlly Dumpers!