Wednesday, April 15, 2009

this should terrify you

I gave a presentation last night for my Information Security class on protecting data from the actions of malicious or absent-minded employees. As a part of my research, I found the video below and used it as a source. Given that this could describe the disposal habits of anyone's bank this should be just a little terrifying. Since buying and using a $30 shredder is so easy, this illustrates how horribly lax security can be even when personal and financial data is involved. It also illustrates the value of finding out what your bank's document disposal procedures are.



This video was originally posted here.

1 comment:

T said...

I wish I could say I'm surprised. It's a good thing that I don't let myself stress over this stuff, I could easily become crazy and hermit away everything if I didn't have the realization that while I should take all measures that I possibly can to protect myself, the day and age we live in, there will always be a risk and I should be aware of my financial status always, and then put my trust in God for a peace that passes all understanding.