Saturday, April 11, 2009

holy week

During Holy Week I always feel a bit separated from a good chunk of Christianity. I'm not just talking about the difference between Protestants and Catholics, either. I don't officially observe any of the days except for Easter, and even on Easter my observance is largely just showing up for church. This is not because I have a disrespect for the importance of what the crucifixion and resurrection represent, but rather because most rituals and many of the ways that people observe things make me feel further from God rather than closer to God.

Easter Sunday is probably my least favorite Sunday of the year because it seems to me to be more about showing off than anything else. I could be wrong and I could just be cynical about it, but that is my impression and it makes the Sunday less appealing. I wish my perspective were different.

I think that there are a few holidays that lean either masculine or feminine, and Easter is one of those that leans more feminine. There aren't too many other holidays where people buy dressy clothes that they will not be able to wear for most of the rest of the year. This may feed my opinions of Easter celebrations as well. For example, I have always liked Independence Day because it combines grilled beef and explosions, which are two things that I consider masculine. Maybe I should cut Easter the break that I cut July fourth. Or, maybe we should find a way to work fireworks into our Easter observances.

No comments: