Wednesday, October 06, 2010

800

This is my 800th post. My tradition when hitting a round number is to write something that indirectly relates to the number. Since was the first area code used for toll-free numbers in the United States (and Canada), today's post is on the concept of free.

My trust issues flare up when I see something that is free. Economically speaking, I am a strong believer that there is no such thing as a free lunch, so I always expect an angle when I see something for free. I think most people are like me to an extent on this, but maybe not to the same degree.

One example was a minor-league baseball game that Golden and I attended with a large group of people. We had "seats" on a grassy berm and a local bank was handing out free seat pads to anyone who would apply for a credit card. Most of the people sitting on the berm took the offer. I could not on principle and because I did not know what that would do to my credit score. I would have purchased the pads even at an inflated price had I had the option, but I would not have taken the "free" pads.

I have another problem with taking free things that I am certain qualifies as a psychological issue, and I am also fairly certain that it is an almost exclusively male issue. I have a very hard time accepting something for free because I do not feel that I have earned it, so I feel mildly indebted. For example, I hate taking free samples of food at the grocery store. I would rather pay the nickle or dime that the sample cost. I know that it does not make much sense, but the ability to pay even on something so small would ease my mind.

In short, I probably don't believe in such a thing as a free lunch because I don't want to.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Interesting. I agree with the no free lunch concept. There is always something that they get out of it, but sometimes it's something I'm willing to do.

Like when Meghan and I sat through a timeshare pitch in Key West in exchange for a $100 gift certificate to a nice restaurant. It was free in terms of money for us, but not in terms of time. It wasn't completely unfeasible that we would have done it, as we like to vacation somewhere every year, so it was worth it to the company to give us their pitch, and it was worth it for me because I felt like I did something to get my free thing.

And I don't mind the free samples in the grocery store, because although I didn't pay them money, I did give them what they wanted. I took the time to taste it and consider if I wanted to buy it. I'm almost never going to buy it, but they essentially paid me one tiny bite of food in exchange for considering a purchase. So I feel it's a fair exchange and have no guilt, because I do feel like I've earned it.

RDW said...

I wonder about this a lot because we offer so many free concerts at the Front Porch (the venue my wife and I run in downtown Springfield.) Even though we ask for donations, we are very unobtrusive about it, and we hope people don't feel like we have an "angle" on them.

But I know what you mean about free samples. I always feel a little guilty for tasting the sample, and not buying the food. On the other hand, I do consider myself a "Free-gan", but only when the food is a gift from a friend, or if it will be wasted otherwise.

In general, I agree that I feel weird about taking free things if a) there's an angle, or b) someone else is putting themselves out for me, and it makes me seem ungrateful.